What would we do without BCNA?

Options
GorgyS
GorgyS Member Posts: 66
I wish I had never heard of or joined this network, but now, when I need it, I am glad to be part of it. Every time I feel upset and vulnerable, I turn to the BCNA. I am just thinking about how people with breast cancer are supported without BCNA. I would definitely struggle. What about those who don't use computers or don't speak English?

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,381
    Options
    @GorgyS You are so right. I love being part of this network yet hate that I am a part of this network. I was having treatment with a lovely lady who only spoke and understood limited English. We showed each other we cared by facial expressions and hand actions. It is amazing what one can do when required. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Absolutely @GorgyS - it is a bit of a love/hate relationship - but we are a lot better off by having 'found' BCNA, than not! ....

BCNA also enables those who've 'been thru it' & are able to help .... to help advise or lead the 'newbies' as they feel their way thru the rigmarole that is diagnosis & treatment & outcome .... 

I hope you are going OK @GorgySxx

A good friend put me onto BCNA when I told her I was diagnosed with BC .... a year later, she celebrated her 5 years clear - but sadly was then diagnosed with a new nasty cancer that had metastasised ... and sadly she passed away a few years ago now.  :(   I've just passed my 5 year 'all clear' but am still very aware that things could go belly up .... so we must all remain vigilant & "if in doubt - get checked out'' when anything untoward happens - be it persistent aches & pains or lumps & bumps .....

I have, personally, made some amazing life-long friends thru BCNA & I know that I am not the only one.  We've met 'off line', even interstate - and enjoyed spirited discussions both online & in private banter.  ;) 

As @Blossom1961 says - it is amazing how you can transcend language ... with caring & we/they 'can' be understood xx

take care, stay well xx
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Dear @GorgyS,
    I appreciate your thoughts about others needing support, especially "those who don't use computers or don't speak English?" I just read earlier on this site in the announcements section about a new Aust Govt Cancer Plan. This Plan acknowledges that treatment and outcomes are very uneven for different groups in our population, specially worse for Indigenous and non-English speaking people. I hope BCNA and other orgs like Cancer Council and Can Assist and health services can lead the way in better support for all with cancer.

from jennyss in Western NSW