Airport X-ray machines and a prosthesis

Options
2»

Comments

• Atlantic
    Atlantic Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Where would you present your letter or give them a heads up before joining the security queue
  • Rowey
    Rowey Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi Atlantic. I actually don’t think it makes much difference if you do either of those things. On my return trip, I notified a security person standing just before the area where you put your carry on baggage for X-ray. She just told me to tell the X-ray operator which I did but I still had to go through all the same processes as I did on my original trip. I told people but it made no difference
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 946
    Options
    If you look at Arpie's reply to my comment on page 1 of this thread, and click on the grey box, from the Travelsecure website (government), it has all the information for travellers with specific needs. It outlines what they may or may not do and details such as requesting a private cubicle and being examined by a same sex officer. I just gave my doctor's letter to the Security Screening Officer before joining the line and had no problems.
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 883
    edited December 2022
    Options
    If you missed BCNA news item on the subject of improving airport security, I have shared the link here https://www.bcna.org.au/news/2022/12/call-to-improve-airport-screening/

We do hear your voices and thankyou for sharing your experiences. BCNA Policy & Advocacy have taken further action on this topic, which has been solely due to the phone calls and emails received to the Helpline with people sharing their stories.

The below information is from the My Journey article on the topic:
    • It is safe to fly with a breast prosthesis - the change in altitude and air pressure doesn't affect the prosthesis. Ask your doctor for a letter that states that you have a prosthesis which you are wearing or carrying with you.

International security checkpoints often require passengers to go through full body scanners, which will detect the breast prosthesis. If you feel comfortable, let the airport security staff know that you are wearing a prosthesis. Airport security staff may organise a pat down to confirm that the prosthesis is not a threat. They should not ask you to lift your clothing or remove the prosthesis.

It is important to know that you have the right to request to be screened in a private area and by a female security officer. If you feel that you haven't been treated with respect, ask to speak to the screening supervisor. You can also lodge a written complaint to the airport management.

If you don't want to wear your prosthesis, you can pack it in either your carry-on or checked luggage. The rules about liquids, gels and aerosols don't apply to silicone or gel-filled prostheses.

For more information about travelling with a breast prosthesis, visit the government website: TravelSECURE

• Broccoli
    Broccoli Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi I would like to say a big thank you to  Sue Watkins for going on abc news and talking about the difficulties of going through an airport security with breast prosthesis. I just think its a pity that the reporter didn't actually note the easy to access information on border force page which is highlighted in our chat here. There, the rules for security are set out quite plainly. But thanks Sue, that was the best - thank you for being so generous for all of us travellers.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,135
    Options
    My story doesn’t relate to a prostheses but to a time when I had E cups and wore a heavy duty underwire bra .
    In Turkey I set off the metal detector at the airport which had never happened to me before - the official grabbed the underwire of my bra and said “ah ha “ and then something in Turkish while laughing .
    At least she was female and waved me through without making me take off the bra.
    ☹️
  • Mez_BCNA
    Mez_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 883
    Options
    If you missed the ABC news story last night you can view via the link https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-22/advocates-call-for-empathy-as-breast-prostheses/101803742

@Broccoli we are so very grateful for Sue's involvement as well, in addition to every person sharing their story with BCNA.
  • Broccoli
    Broccoli Member Posts: 16
    Options

Julez1958 said:

My story doesn’t relate to a prostheses but to a time when I had E cups and wore a heavy duty underwire bra .
    In Turkey I set off the metal detector at the airport which had never happened to me before - the official grabbed the underwire of my bra and said “ah ha “ and then something in Turkish while laughing .
    At least she was female and waved me through without making me take off the bra.
    ☹️

Yes, I have one airport 'boob' memory prior to my op...  at Nepal airport. Every female is frisked behind a curtain by a female security guard. She went round my 'assets' about 9 times. As I had been single for about 6 years at the time, I came out and laughed to my friends that I should go round again... but it was highly inappropriate really. I am kind of dreading doing the scanner later this week now I'm flat. Still too soon to have prostheses fitted, so don't have that issue currently.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,379
    Options
    It’s not a pleasant thing to have to go through, but unfortunately drug smugglers may try anything. According to the ABC, Sue Watkins was taken to a private room, as per policy. I can’t imagine female security staff like having to do it either but I’m not sure what better solution there might be. Trust would be fine but airport security already know how iffy that can be. Being prepared is the best most of us can do. 
  • Rowey
    Rowey Member Posts: 37
    Options
    It’s been interesting to hear of all the different experiences that people have had in airports in Australia. As several of you have pointed out, there are rules and guidelines on the rights and responsibilities of travellers and it’s good to have a working knowledge of those. However, I would have thought it is incumbent on security staff to also know and act within these guidelines so that there is consistency and certainty in how we are processed through security requirements. On most days, I would be able to stand up and advocate for myself if my rights were not being respected, but there are days when I’m feeling vulnerable when that would be difficult. We should just have certainty about what will happen and that will give us confidence. Greater education of security staff would help
  • JulieVT11
    JulieVT11 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I had a horrible experience at the Brisbane domestic airport and I wasn’t even flying.  Our daughter was flying in (had just got engaged) and we were picking her up so very excited.  Went through security to get to the gate and then all turned to shite.  My prothesis was picked up on the body scan so the security lady in her loudest voice yelled “woman here with something in her bra”.  Several staff came over and I explained what it was but they weren’t happy with that so was taken into an office with 4 staff to be felt down.  They then asked me to remove my shirt and had to actually show them my bra.  All happy then I went back out and had to go through the body scanner again and same staff person yelled out again that she still has something there, I started crying, my husband wasn’t allowed to come near me and they finally said I could go.  Have never felt so humiliated and violated in my life. Have flown a few times since with no drama at all but have serious anxiety now before travelling.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,612
    Options
    So sorry you were put thru that, @JulieVT11 - and you weren't even flying!! 

That is shocking.  I think a strongly worded letter would be in order, reminding the airport of their own rules, re women with a prothesis xx. To both State and Federal Health Ministers as well as the Airport!!

Take care