Mastectomy

Options
124»

Comments

• Djk
    Djk Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Dear @Vetty I’m so sorry you are feeling this way! It is a lot of information to process and it sometimes feels overwhelming!
    I absolutely agree that you should have a second opinion, then proceed with the surgeon you feel comfortable with. 
    From my knowledge/experience, the breast surgeon will perform the mastectomy/lumpectomy procedure, and a plastic surgeon is required to perform the reconstruction. 
    Don’t stress about it, I’m sure you will be in good hands! Surgeons in general have really bad communication skills, but they are good at what they do. You will be lucky if you can find one that is good in both! 
    I wish you all the luck in your future appointment! I hope you find all the answers and explanations you need to your questions!

please keep us updated! 
    I’m here if you need anything!

love 
    Dxx
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    @Vetty - your story is exactly the same as mine from 8 years ago !  Happy to chat via personal message if that will assist you.
    @Afraser - no, many ladies have no intention of going flat, or lop-sided, this decision was made for them.  Any information will give them the opportunity to pose the hard questions to their surgeon.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea @Vetty - DEFINITELY get your GP to refer you elsewhere.  If you add your 'town/city' to your profile, people may be able to help with suggestions of surgeons - tho your BC Nurse would be a good one to talk to as well - as she has dealt with the patients post op ..... and would know who was good!  ;) 

I'd steer clear from 'general surgeons' too .... VERY important that your surgeon is experienced in whatever form of reconstruction you are undertaking & is also communicative with you - sounds like this guy had a revolving door!!  10 mins to discuss your surgery??? NOT LONG ENOUGH - specially when you were left confused & stunned!

take care & good luck & don't be afraid to pull the pin on that guy!! 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    @Vetty your surgeon sounds exactly like my first surgeon. Horrible. Do not hesitate to get a second opinion as it could significantly change things for you for the better. It did for me. And those surgeons who are fantastic, skilled, empathetic and great communicators do exist. Rare but they do. My second and current surgeon is one. She’s brilliant, so it definitely pays to get a second opinion. 
    Good luck ♥️
  • JDaly
    JDaly Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi. I am currently completing the last 8 rounds of my herceptin/chemo and getting very anxious and unsure of surgery and reconstruction options also. I was diagnosed with her + March last year at age 34 and have done 5months of chemo, mastectomy, radiation and the targeted herceptin/chemo combo. With all the treatment another surgery just seems overwhelming but the recovery from the mastectomy wasn't nearly as painful or daunting as I thought it would be. I have also previously had implants so have an idea what reconstruction will be like although i imagine it is likely to be quite different with mastectomy and radiation damage and I've been advised my option is lat dorsi flap recon. I have got a second opinion and thinking about getting another opinion just to make sure I have got all my options presented before making a final decision. It has taken me some time to come to terms with the fact that if I reconstruct it will not be anything like what I once had. I hope your anxiety eases with time and information. Good luck 
  • Vetty
    Vetty Member Posts: 12
    Options
    @JDaly my situation is almost identical to yours although I’m still at the chemo stage. Im meant to have surgery in about 6weeks and have been given very little information or options so panicking a great deal. I also just discovered I may need another 12mths of chemo and herceptin after the radiation and surgery. Info I would have like to be warned of at the start!  So, I need to decide if I want immediate recon, or delayed and have no idea what to do. 

What options have you been given re reconstruction after mastectomy? We’re they able to spare the nipple/areola?  Feel free to send a private msg. 
  • JDaly
    JDaly Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi... I was advised I wasn't able to have an immediate reconstruction due to the fact I would most likely be needing radiation. Having a delayed reconstruction meant they weren't able to do nipple sparing and I opted for a flat closure as I knew it would be some time before I could reconstruct and wanted my mastectomy to look neat and tidy if I was stuck with it for a while. I was also advised that due to radiation i would need to have lat dorsi flap recon, so skin sparing wouldn't really make a difference for me. I am currently still undecided if I will go ahead with reconstruction or opt for a mastectomy on the other side and stay flat. I have time to make this discussion as my treatment is still 7months off being finished. 

I got a private consult to put my mind at ease about my original consult, they both recommended the same treatment for me, and I have used the breast care nurse a lot to ask heaps of questions and to get more information regarding what to consider and expect. 

Good luck with your decision.  Wishing you all the best