Not all RAT tests pick up on Omicron - TGA link on all RAT tests efficacy

arpie
arpie Member Posts: 7,521
edited February 2022 in COVID-19
Apparently not all RAT tests are picking up on the Omicron Variant - with some people showing active symptoms, but their RAT tests showing negative - until they have a PCR (or use a RAT test that DOES pick up Omicron.)

https://www.tga.gov.au/post-market-review-antigen-and-rapid-antigen-tests?fbclid=IwAR2w7FxPwUHxLeeQaj6Xo8lquUTKjrzbHmGQirNQBZgqM3U0U-qiPcji5h4

In the search area, put the Manufacturer's name & then check for the actual 'test kit name' and 'code' (below the test kit name - if it has one.)

The ones I got from the chemist show as being good for Delta and Omicron (the 2nd one.)
hmmm .. I wonder if 'oral fluid' (vs 'swab') means just to use throat mucous, not nose mucous as well?

A buddy comparing their RAT to this list, shows it didn't pick up Omicron.

Another buddy found out they'd been positive in the community due to 'false negatives'

If in doubt, get a PCR test as well.

Tagged:

Comments

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 690
    Thanks @arpie
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    When the tests became available I looked around and found a site and was quite pleased to know the ones provided to us pensioners were on the good list !  The list I found had many more companies shown than the one above.  When home again I will let you know which list.
  • arpie
    Yes, I was very happy that ours were for Omicron as well as the previous strains, back in early Feb ...

This was the original list put out, after the Omicron RAT tests were available  @June1952 ..  I think the TGA current 'table list' would be much more extensive now (which you should be able to open in a separate window from the link above - I did it once but now can't ... weird.)

You can also put 'Omicron' in the search area if you just want to find 'those ones' - but it is still important to be covered for as many versions as possible ..... and you can increase the 'search' from 10 to 100 

We've just had our 4th Booster shot today .... I am hearing of more & more people 'getting it' - including Hubby's twin brother & wife just last week .... wife got it worse than the brother (who is 85.). So previous shots meant he only got a milder version, I guess?

With the Easter Holidays soon - I am guessing there will be an explosion of numbers in regional areas .... as they 'bring it with them' ..... :( 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    4th shot received today. Why we are still lifting mask requirements and simple restrictions when averaging over 300,000 new cases a week nationally defeats me. For those still of the ‘it’s just the flu’ mindset, in 2019, acknowledged as a really bad year for the ‘flu, we had 313,000 notified cases - in a year! And no-one believes the numbers notified for Covid are the actual numbers. 
  • arpie
    It defies logic, @Afraser