Sentinel Node Biopsy Positive

Options
Hi everyone. I feel numb this evening.  I had a lumpectomy last Wednesday and follow up with my Surgeon today.  I was advised that the Sentinel node biopsy had returned positive. I now have to go fur a CT and Bone scan tomorrow. If it hasn't spread, I have been tentatively booked in for removal and biopsy of nodes under my arm.  If it HAS spread to other organs or bones,  I won't be having the surgery,  rather,  will be referred to an Oncologist. 
I am in an unfamiliar world right now.  Had anyone gone through similar? 
If it has spread, does this mean the end for me?  My breast surgeon reassured me it is not a death sentence if it has spread, however, it can be treated. I don't think I'm strong enough for this.  So close to Xmas too. I cannot prepare myself for what may come.

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 915
    Options
    @JanJune1964 sorry to hear your result wasn't what you were expecting.   Hope you are healing from the lumpectomy.   No it won't be the end.  Treatments have come a long way.  I had a lumpectomy with nodes removed and then had to have further treatment.  You will get through this.  Be kind to yourself.   Sending you a hug. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Dear @JanJune1964

It’s lousy timing but then it’s never, ever good timing. Cut to the chase, it’s not the end. Even if your cancer has spread, there are a range of treatments possible now and given the leaps and bounds in research in recent years, who knows what may be next. Often it’s hard to tell what’s happening until actual surgery - I had several extremely suspicious looking lymph nodes, much enlarged, the biopsied one was positive so the expectation was that several were, but no, just one. Nine years on, I have no evidence of disease. The best and hardest advice I can give is try to take each day as it comes. You can exhaust yourself with all the possibilities, many of which may never happen. One thing at a time. You will know more tomorrow, then more again shortly. Most people find the whole thing easier to handle when you have a clear diagnosis and a plan of treatment. It helps you to focus on doing, rather than imagining. Have you someone to support you, particularly at this time? Someone who can take notes, ask questions that you may want to consider later can be really helpful. You will find you are much stronger than you think, nearly everyone who has been through this looks back with some amazement at how we adapt, adjust and keep pedalling! Best wishes for tomorrow. 
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Dear @JanJune1964...as always, good advice already given. I remember all to well thinking that the Grim Reaper was at my door back in 2016. I was diagnosed with Grade 3 (so a Porche, not a Volkswagen), Stage 3 (a whisker away from 4), multifocal, (more than on little bastard) and with at least one node involved. That was in September and I was convinced I wouldn't see Christmas. My (at that time) only grandchild, was only 15 months old and I was sure he would never have any memories of me. As an avid knitter, I set about knitting him jumpers in all sizes up to aged six, so he would have a tangible connection with his dead granny. Well my Little Man has almost finished his first year of school and has a little sister almost two now. Oh...and I'm still NED...no evidence of disease. I hope all goes well for you today and remember, we are all here, and we all get it and understand your fear and despair. Big hug...Ally.
  • JanJune1964
    JanJune1964 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Ally, thank you so much for your comments ❤  and advice.  I'm about to get ready for my CT and Bone scan this morning,  then a Covid test this afternoon,  in preparation for surgery to remove and test lymph nodes in armpit.  That's if the scans show nothing is in my body.  I have no choice but to take one day at a time.  I have two boys, aged 29 and 33 years.  It's a hard thing to tell them about what's happening to me. I'm also a carer for my 85 yo mother, who is following me around the house,  she's so worried about me.  
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    So sorry to see you join the club that no-one wants to join, @JanJune1964. The girls have given great advice - yep - it sure is lousy timing (as was mine, this time 2017 with the biopsy between Xmas & new year.)

All the best for your results from the CT/Bone scans today.  I hope your boys are being very supportive of you xx.

Oh dear - I care for my husband too, who is 85 & has Stage 4 cancer ... we have a private 'carers group' on BCNA, if you'd like to join it.  We chat about MyAgedCare/Home Care Packages & anything to do with 'caring' etc, as it is a BIG learning curve for me - we only signed up with MyAgedCare in Oct.

Also, when You have 5 mins, check out this post - it has lots of 'other links' on BCNA that you may like to explore .... even some funny posts, to give you a bit of a laugh. (Laughter being the best medicine, sometimes!).
    Feel free to join any of the conversations. 
    https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/23477/a-big-welcome-to-all-our-new-members#latest

Take care xx
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    You are stronger than you think @JanJune1964. You will get through this. It is amazing what treatment can do. Yep it might be hard sometimes but you can do it. Big breaths, we are all here for you. Other ladies have given good advice. Good luck and let us know how you go. Big breaths x