Newly diagnosed. Am I being mucked around by the hospital?

Options

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    Love your new profile pic @Cath62! Totally agree 💯💯
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @AllyJay I had a similar experience where I wouldn't budge nor go away.  I was in the hospital for the "education session" for my chemo to commence the next week, but earlier that morning one of my breasts was so hot and inflamed, and I thought I had an infection, so not stressing, I thought I could get it looked at whilst there with the nurse for the education session.  She said I don't think we have a doctor that can see you, and said to go to the emergency department.  Um, hey, I am in the oncology breast clinic department and you can't get a doctor to look at my breast?  Is my surgeon here?  I held my ground, wouldn't go, she called the NUM, and the same response go to emergency and wait in line there.  No, I said, I won't go, I want to see a doctor, this went on for over nearly two hours.  I said I am happy to wait, but I won't leave without seeing a doctor!  The nurse even took a look to see the state of my breast, but still wanted me to go down to emergency and line up there, and said it could be a long wait, or even to come back the next day she said. They then finally rang my surgeon who has in his room, and he was happy to see me.  Turned out my infection was so bad, that he put me on an extra strong dose of antibiotics, and was quite disgusted they were going to fob me off to emergency to wait to see a doctor there.  

The nurse and NUM just kept saying we don't have a doctor to see you!  I wanted to say should I go to McDonald's to see if there are doctors there!  Lol, a hospital without doctors, what a joke.  

Stay vigilant and stand up for yourself everybody!  

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Thanks @FLClover. I saw this pic the other day and it really resonated.
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi @Nattyv63,
    Oh yes AllyJay, the squeaky wheel gets the oil! Sorry this is happening to you Nattyv63- the waiting is vey stressful. A core biopsy should be done fairly soon after mammogram bc diagnosis.I think I waited about a week. My surgery was then booked in 2wks later(the first time 2003) and 3wks later( 2nd time in 2010). I was private hosp for the first time and public for the next time but had my private surgeon.Unfortunately things can slow down abit at this time of year.I personally think your biopsy wait is a tad long as it means your surgery could be fobbed off till the new year?You should get biopsy results within a few days and see your surgeon. Perhaps take someone with you and don’t allow your surgery to be delayed- have a meltdown if you have to! You seem happy with your surgeon and the hospital is convenient so stick with it- you’ve come this far.Big hug xx
  • Carissa_BCNA
    Carissa_BCNA Administrator, Staff, Member, Moderator Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi @Nattyv63

This is a link to the Optimal Care Pathway for breast cancer. It's a reference guide that outlines optimal timelines for diagnostic testing, surgery and connecting with health professionals. Feel free to take this with you to appointments or use it as a reference point when talking to your treating team to help make sure you are receiving the most optimal care possible. https://www.cancervic.org.au/downloads/health-professionals/ocp/CC%20QRG%20Breast%202021.pdf

Take care
    @Carissa_BCNA
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hi @Nattyv63 I just wanted to let you know that often surgery is the last, not the first step in treatment. I had chemo, then radiotherapy, then surgery. This was because the tumour was large and close to the skin, so they wanted to shrink it down as much as possible before performing a mastectomy. This worked really well and I had a Diep flap reconstruction with minimal scarring (of the breast anyway) as they were able to save all the breast skin apart from the nipple. The scar is barely visible now and it's just a circle where the nipple and areola used to be (they put the transplanted tissue in through that hole then used skin from my tummy to replace the nipple/areola).
  • Nattyv63
    Nattyv63 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks everyone and thanks @Carissa_BCNA for that handy timeline guide. My surgeon spoke about doing the surgery first but after my biopsy (finally) tomorrow (Thurs 16/12) and then seeing her on Tues 21st I’ll have more of an idea of what we’re dealing with! Must admit that I’m in the denial phase of them having made a mistake and it’s just a fibroadenoma -of which I have a 40 year history! 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    All the best for your biopsy tomorrow @Nattyv63.  We will wait to hear the outcome next week.  In the meantime, try to relax and not over-think things.  Be kind to yourself.  💖
  • Nattyv63
    Options
    Thanks hon! xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,579
    Options
    That's awesome @Nattyv63 - all the best.  Just be aware that the 'bang' can be quite loud when they do the biopsy - and they may do multiples in the same spot but in different angles to make sure the 'get into it' ...  That initial 'bang' scared the crap out of me!

Take care xx

• Nattyv63
    Options
    Oy! Thanks for that @arpie - does it hurt? 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,579
    Options
    Not really - I think I mainly felt 'pressure' from the bang!   But there may be a bit of bruising around it for a while tho.

They should give you a painkilling injection first .. if it looks like they don't, ASK about it! ;)  Yeah/Nah, they should give you one! xx ;) 

You'll be alright xx

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    I sent you a private message @Nattyv63
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    You should get a local anaesthetic first, so you won’t really feel a thing. The bang is quite loud though. I’m sure they’ll warn you. I know which phase you’re in. I didn’t even know about fibroadenomas til i was diagnosed, but I was also hopeful til the last minute that that’s what it was. I’m pretty sure we all hope that, even though deep down some of us knew what it was. 3 words: it gets better ♥️.
  • Nattyv63
    Options
    Thanks hon! Will steel myself for the Big Bang! xx