Any regrets after going flat?

Options
13»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    edited July 2021
    Options
    @kmcin28  Are you still having yearly mammograms and ultrasounds?  As it is under 5 years, I would think so.   I am assuming they are all clear?  (Mind you, mine was also clear and it totally missed MY ILC - found just months later by my GP!). 
    Can you contact your cancer centre and arrange a meeting or 2 with the psychologist that they should have on hand for concerned patients?  If you can get your concerns down ‘on paper’ and show how leaving the breast ‘there’ will be a problem to you ... squeaky door and all that.  And chat with your Onc too .... 

Your request will not be that unusual .. Shame your original surgeon didn’t discuss it more fully with you back then.  

If you put your general area (town/city) into your profile .... other members nearby may be able to point you towards a sympathetic surgeon xx

all the best xx
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    As one who was told by the doctor to take some time before making the decision to have the 'other' breast removed I am upset to hear that it would be regarded as cosmetic @arpie.  I hate the annual stress of the tests and really hate having to wear the prosthesis when going out but, on the other hand, having the other one hanging there does remind me that I am female.  The bad does outweigh the good, though.  I was hoping to go ahead with the chop last year but covid got in the way.
  • HinterlandSian
    HinterlandSian Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm now a uni-boober and remember back to when I had two and the best part of the day was getting home from work and the first thing you'd do is rip off the bra.  Imagaine - getting home from work and ripping off the boobs! What freedom!
    I didn't know how I'd feel when I was pre-surgery but now that I've been a month with just one I'd definitely feel more even with none. And then you could pick your cup size for the occaision - B cup for shopping/exercise, D cup for evening out. No more trying to 'match' the remaining one.
    I'm all for flat!
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi @kmcin28,
    I don’t think a prophylactic mastectomy is classed as cosmetic surgery when you’ve already had bc in the other breast.I’ve had bc twice in the same breast (2003 and 2010). I’m sick of being lopsided and my remaining breast keeps growing! I’ve had to change my prosthesis 3 times in the last 11yrs.Maybe that’s ok,I don’t know. But when I asked my surgeon(back in April) about taking my other breast off,she said I’d have to REALLY talk her into it.She said I didn’t have a family history and it’s big surgery again.I really thought that having had a recurrence would be the golden ticket but no.The prosthesis size I have now is bordering on uncomfortable and I’m 66yrs old so big surgery is only going to get harder as I age.These are some of my concerns,not to mention the yearly mammogram worry.Anyway,Covid lockdown came along soon after so no choice for now. I was abit annoyed with my surgeon for being dismissive of my concerns- however,I would prefer she did any future surgery. For the moment I’ll just try to lose some weight and hope my uni boob shrinks abit.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Different surgeon, different response. My very good surgeon would have mine off in a flash! No family history of breast cancer, no recurrence. He thinks I’ll get neck/shoulder pain. It is fairly large surgery and I had a very persistent seroma last time. Which might be unlikely to recur, but then again might. Pity we can’t swap! 
  • kmcin28
    kmcin28 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    @TonyaM I to am sick of being lopsided and suffering from shoulder and neck pain. Do you think it would be such a big surgery, I know my last one was but then there was cancer involved. I'm just curious as my daughter in law has just had a preventative double mastectomy and reconstruction. She went into hospital Tuesday and was out Thursday with drains removed and is sore but coping well. I'm 63 and would rather have it done sooner than later, I'm over my prosthesis and would love to have the freedom of not having it. Making travelling easier. (Have had a couple of embarrassing moments at airport security when we could travel)  I even feel with hugging people that they know I have a fake boob. I stress at my mammogram screening every year, it would be so relieving not to have the worry of that and the oncologists appointment. I'm not to sure with the Covid whether surgery would be possible at the moment but if I could have it I'd do it tomorrow. Sorry for my long rant. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • kmcin28
    kmcin28 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    @HinterlandSian I'm all for flat too.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I demanded it at my diagnosis for both off ..... I had to prove that my reasons were stable.... I was 20E already had neck and back problems from the weight of them.... I saw their psychiatrist   he asks me questions and said I had good reason and thought it through and knew what I wanted.  signed off for a double at the same time.... 

Push for what is right for you....