35 y/o and diagnosed with HER2 positive breast Cancer

Options

Comments

• ara
    ara Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi StarGirl,
    Thank you for your reassurance... really made me feel better about my current situation.
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    Options
    I don’t have your type of bc and I am 47 but with 4 young kids, diagnosed 1st November. A former registered nurse and I know exactly how freaky it is reading your pathology report and knowing that’s your breast and not a patient. I had 8 positive nodes. I know your fear. I don’t need 40 more years. I just hope for 10 so my youngest is 17. But, actually I just want to get thru this week right now 😊. 
    Hang in there, you will feel less terrified as treatment goes on. Your little ones will have you for a long time yet I am sure. Sending much encouragement and hugs xx
  • ara
    Options
    Thanks @ddon. Have you started chemo yet? I am just patiently waiting to be cured of this cancer and I know this will just pass. Sending you also my love and encouragement.
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    Options
    I had my first chemo Thursday 19th so very fresh. So far, just some nausea and a bit tired but nothing terrible. 
    You are too young and busy to be in this nightmare I know, and I feel for you. Still, we are in the right country for the best care and the best statistics for positive outcomes so I feel very reassured. The year ahead may be crappy for us but it will get better xx
  • mtansyz
    mtansyz Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello,
    I was diagnosed at 35 (in 2018, I'm now 37), with Her2, while I was pregnant with my third child. 
    (I'm happy to report that said child was born healthy and happy and is doing well). 
    Try not to blame yourself! I had my lump for weeks and weeks before I got it checked out....just put it down to being pregnant...I had also had a mammogram only a year before, which was all clear. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these things...and yes, its very scary thinking about all the things you may miss out on with the kids....totally get the crying thing!! I hope wherever you are with your treatment, things are going well for you!

• ara
    Options
    @mtansyz thank you.. i just finished my AC then will be doing paclataxel and herceptin. you inspire me. thank you so much
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    I have HER2 breast cancer - it appears that Herceptin has radically improved prognosis for HER2 breast cancer.
    https://www.targetedonc.com/conference/lynn-sage-2017/trastuzumab-has-radically-improved-prognosis-for-her2-positive-breast-cancer
  • mtansyz
    Options

ara said:

@mtansyz thank you.. i just finished my AC then will be doing paclataxel and herceptin. you inspire me. thank you so much

That's very kind of you...don't forget you are inspirational too!

Good luck with the paclataxel (I don't remember much about mine...2018 was such a blur! ;) 
    I do remember that I found the chemo itself ok...but struggled with the weekly steroids...I spent a lot of time in my garden pulling weeds....luckily my garden had a LOT of weeds!!
    I'm still having herceptin and perjeta....if you have any questions or ever want to chat feel free to contact me. 
  • ara
    Options
    Hi @PV123 thank you so much for that article it brings me hope.

@mtansyz thank you thank you... until when are you having the herceptin and perjeta? im just worried about the paclataxel because I've heard that it causes neuropathy and the herceptin gives you palpitations. I just really pray that my body tolerates it.
  • mtansyz
    Options

ara said:

Hi @PV123 thank you so much for that article it brings me hope.

@mtansyz thank you thank you... until when are you having the herceptin and perjeta? im just worried about the paclataxel because I've heard that it causes neuropathy and the herceptin gives you palpitations. I just really pray that my body tolerates it.

I'm having herceptin / perjeta indefinitely at this stage....no end date set...
    (I have an ECHO every three months to check on my heart...I imagine you will too). 

I ended up having neuropathy in my feet towards the end of the 12 cycles...so my Oncologist adjusted my dose down slightly for the last couple of weeks....I can't remember how long it took for the neuropathy to wear off, but I think it was a couple of weeks. I think that they can gently adjust the dose if things are getting a bit to full on! We are living a lot longer these days, so they want to make sure they can also give you a reasonable quality of life as well :) My oncologist also mentioned that its really common for people to not finish all 12 cycles...which made me feel a little better / like I hadn't 'failed' in some way.

Best of Luck!!! 

• ara
    Options
    @mtansyz sooo nice got to talk to you as you ease my anxiety with my second round of battle (i'd like to think). sorry to keep asking you lots of questions. when did you go back to work? 
  • mtansyz
    Options

ara said:

@mtansyz sooo nice got to talk to you as you ease my anxiety with my second round of battle (i'd like to think). sorry to keep asking you lots of questions. when did you go back to work? 

I actually haven't returned to work as such...I was a stay at home Mum before this all started, and have kept doing that. Having said that, I have decided to go back to uni this year. 

It took me almost all of 2018 to get through all the chemo, surgery and radiotherapy etc...then in 2019, our eldest started prep, our middle one was in three year old kinder, and the baby was busy being a baby ;) 

So I guess, this year is the first time I've felt ready / able to do something 'normal' like work or study.

Having said that, I'm very privileged to have a husband that works full time, which has meant that I have been able to take my time... 
  • ara
    Options
    @mtansyz oh thats good to hear.. thank you for your time in responding to my questions 😊
  • shs14
    shs14 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    @PV123 that is my favourite article! I read it when I get anxious. 
    I made the mistake when I was first diagnosed of reading an out of date article online which had the old prognosis for Her2 before Herceptin came along and changed things. I read that one next and it talked me off a cliff!
    Lovely to hear from all the Her2 ladies working their way through treatment.
    @ara if you are going on to Paclitaxel make sure you read the post I have on tests and treatments about cold therapy to help avoid neuropathy side effects. Many patients find it helps them with this.
    Good luck with all your treatment and to everyone still going through it. I am just out the other side of chemo and radiation and half way through my year of Herceptin and starting to feel normal again and get hair. You will get there soon! xx
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Options
    shs14 - I have been reading quite a few current articles and they talk about the outlook for HER2 improving immensely since Herceptin.