35 y/o and diagnosed with HER2 positive breast Cancer

ara
ara Member Posts: 28
edited December 2019 in Newly diagnosed
Hello,
I am new on this online discussion thread but I find it very encouraging.
Here it goes.. Is anyone out there who is HER2 positive who is the same age range like me? I just got got diagnosed on the 25th of Nov and I just cried my hearts out because I cant believe that its me. But of course cancer doesnt choose right it just does what it does. The thing is I am a nurse by profession and to read my pathology report I cant believe that what I am reading is my own result not someone else which I am used to doing. Then I started blaming myself because I was not proactive on my health management when I went to GP. She told me its nothing and did not even perform a biopsy which I should have insisted. Backtracking I felt the lump 10weeks ago before I was officially diagnosed and everything was pretty full on after that in terms of the treatment. Right now, I am crying again because I am scared. You see I have two kids a 3y/o and a 1y/o. I cry for the future. I really wanted to beat this cancer. I want to build more memories with the bubs because you know they are still to young to remember me if God decided to take me...

Comments

• Shakalker
    Shakalker Member Posts: 84
    Sending big hugs ❤️
    Honey it is not the end, treatments have progressed a long way on breast cancer, the biggest part is you, don’t give up before the race begins.
    Many have faced what you are facing and are still around years later to give us all help and support.
    Yes, it is a horrible thing to deal with, but you can do this.
    xxx
  • ara
    thanks so much shakalker...
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    I am much older than you, however I do have her+ BC.  Initial diagnosis is tough, As mentioned by Shakalker, BC treatments are excellent with very good outcomes.  I know of many women who have undergone treatment and are fit and well many years after diagnosis.  Hugs to you and your little ones. 
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    A scary thing indeed for you. Not just the path results for the lady in bed 22, but you. A wife, daughter, sister and mother. I'm not young like you, but was diagnosed with stage 3, grade 3, multifocal with one node positive, triple positive BC. I realised I was a bee's dick away from stage four but was (and still am to a somewhat lesser degree), scared shitless. My grandson was 14 months old then, and my goal was to live long enough to be able to walk him to school on his first day. Then in black moments, I thought perhaps it might be better if I died before he was old enough to remember me as a sick and dying granny. Well he is four and a half now and can ride a bike. He has a baby sister almost a year old, and this granny is still NED and hope to be so to see them both grow to adulthood. The fight will be hard, as it is for each of us, but one hour, one day, one week at a time, you'll get through. Many others will join to comment and to offer help and support regarding the young womens' private group, as well as other resources. Sending you a big (((hug))).
  • ara

AllyJay said:

of course you will still live long enough to experience your grandkids. that is all our goal. right now, i dont know if you are spiritual but i already surrender everything to Him and just to have faith that He will get me through it.
  • kabash
    kabash Member Posts: 28
    I was in a very similar place a few months ago. I am older than you at 44 but I also have two young children 4 and 7. I know how it feels to be scared that my girls could be left without a mother. I am still in treatment (just had a mastectomy a few days ago after 4 months chemo) and sometimes I still fall into the fear. Mostly I stay hopeful and try to just keep living as I had with positivity and hope. Once you are in active treatment and your plan is laid out things do get better. One good thing to know about HER2+ cancers is that even though they are more aggressive they are also more treatable. Mine turned out to be IBC (strongly HER2 weakly hormone positive) but it has responded pretty well to the targeted treatment. Will find out next week if the response was partial or complete. I wish you the very best with your surgery and chemo, whichever comes first. If ever you need someone to talk to privately feel free to message me. 
  • ara
    Hi @kabash. Its good to know I have someone in here with my similar type of BC because thinking how agrressive HER2 can be very scary. I wish you well in terms of your response to the treatment. As of the moment, I am doing chemo for a month now then by Jan probably will be doing the mastectomy then targeted therapy. My goal is to live 40 more years so that I will be there for my kids for their first stuffs in life (heartache, victory etc) to give support. And of course I want to grow old with my husband :smile:
  • KylieG
    KylieG Member Posts: 57
    Hi there, I'm 41 and recently diagnosed with stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer.  I had my son young and he's 17 now but still, I was planning a lot more of my life once he finishes school and now I have to fight for my life!  It's terrifying but we're both going to beat this, you and me!  We have Herceptin, and we are so lucky to be in Australia, not America where you will go into bankruptcy and not be able to access the medicine you need.  I'm at the beginning of a chemo journey which is not what I wanted to do, how can you choose between poisoning yourself or chopping off a part of yourself?  Or most likely both!  But you just choose life, it's all you can do. It's a shitty hand to be dealt.  But I will tell you that chemo isn't as bad as I was afraid it would be.  And I'm really hoping my tumour shrinks a lot so I can have a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. It must be really hard for you with your little kids.  I hope everyone around you is spoiling you and looking after you.  My sister visits me and cooks and cleans for me when I'm not well.  I hope you have that kind of family and friends too.  xxx Take care
    Kylie
  • ara
    Hi Kylie,
    I know we are very lucky indeed that we are in Australia. Having little kids is hard but they are also my source of strength, whenever I look at them playing the more I thought... Please God let me live longer for 40 more years 😊 I am blessed that both my parents are here to do babysitting and help with house chores.
    In terms of chemo dont think about it as posioning our body.. its our only way to have the upper hand with this cancer who grows so fast and we need to put stop to it. I think we are in the same boat. My doctor wants to shrink the tumor before operating. Frankly, I dont care if I have the mastectomy as long as the cancer is out and I am cured thats all that matters. We will get through this Kylie 😊
  • suburbangirl
    suburbangirl Member Posts: 123
    Hello @ara, @KylieG, and @kabash

I just wanted to say hello and know we are all 'here' on the journey with you.

We may not be 'real life' friends or colleagues, but we all understand the fears, and the highs and lows of our diagnosis, let alone dealing with our everyday lives.

I understand your fear with having young children. I was not diagnosed with breast cancer until my girls were 24 and 22, but I had a (breast cancer) scare when they were @ 11 and 9. I have been a single mother since they were 3 and 1, and the idea of a diagnosis was literally unbearable.

Be reassured by the many men and women on this site, and in the general community, who live full and healthy lives, years after diagnosis. We just all need to get through the diagnosis and treatment, then take it step by step. Have faith in your medical team, including staff in all departments that poke, prod, inject, and mostly are kind to us, they are amazing people!

Wishing you all a safe and relaxing festive season, 
    xx

• ara
    Hi Suburbangirl,

Thanks alot with that words of encouragement. It really means a lot.
    I wish you a blessed christmas season full of love and happiness with your loved ones.
  • KylieG
    KylieG Member Posts: 57
    @ara, so true, you have such a good positive attitude!  @suburbangirl thank you so much for your kind words.  Happy Christmas to everyone! Xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I had a her+ cancer but much older than you.
    My niece was your age though and she had 10 positive nodes. She was on the herceptin trial and 16 years on she is cancer free. Her babies are all grown. So lovely there is wonderful treatment options for Her2+ cancers now.
    You can do this. No more blame..future focus as you need your energy for this. 
  • ara
    Hi Primek,

That is such good news and you gave me hope 😊 Thank you kindly.
  • StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    edited December 2019
    Hi @ara, I was diagnosed with HER2+ stage 4 bc at age 40 with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. That was almost 5 years ago. Don’t assume the worst. It is possible to do well for many years, even with mets. Wishing you all the best. X