Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options

• strongtogether
    strongtogether Member Posts: 167
    Options
    It is hard. It is a scary place. 
    I have promised myself to spend time with positive thoughts about the future. So if I'm going to worry for ten minutes, I should really spend some time trying to imagine a good outcome. Why not?
    Luck comes into it, sure. We have seen the stats.
    But you are not a stat. You're a human being. 
     You will do the surgery, chemo before and/or after surgery. You will probably do radiation. You live in a rich country with good healthcare,  most people who get this disease dont. In Australia most tnbc patients are cured - or as close to cured as anyone can be. The majority of people that have TNBC and do these treatments are cancer free and survive for years.
     Most of the women that do what you are going to do live. Most of these cases never recur. That's still  the most likely outcome here. There are no guarantees, but you should try to see both sides here.
    The stats - damned stats -on TNBC say that you are more likely to have a recurrence than hormone positive or ER positive patients. The stats DO NOT say that you are going to have a recurrence. The stats DO NOT say that your disease will metastasize. The stats say you are at higher risk of it for the first few years. You can start to breathe easier at two years. Then three years. At five years survival you will have whipped the fear into a docile beast. And you won't be on hormones for the next 10 years. We wish there were pills they could give us, but there arent any pills.
    You have a fight on your hands. The treatment is tough. You will have parts of your flesh removed and you will have to learn to trust your body again. You will have scars. Nobody has ever asked for this disease, but there is a way forward. The treatment is tough but it will improve your odds of survival..... that's why you go through it. Because with tnbc the  chances of recurrence are higher than normal. So you accept a higher load. You take the tough chemo. Remember that you will get through the chemo. Remember also that most people never see stage 4. 
    The most likely outcome here is that you will be a fully treated TNBC patient survivor, and be recurrence free for the rest of your life. 
    I am afraid like you are afraid. Just know that you're not afraid alone. Please don't ever give up.