I am new...

Options
System
System Posts: 63
This discussion was created from comments split from: Preparation.

Comments

• Flindersia
    Flindersia Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I am new.  I have never had an operation in my life. I guess I have been lucky until now. I have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  I will have my lumpectomy on the 1August.  Not to far away.  I found my lump early.  Fingers crossed I will beat this.  I just want it removed.  I am taking one step at a time.  Trying not to get overwhelmed.  What is worse the surgery or treatment? I also have been eating all the foods I may not be able to eat later on.  Did anyone else do.the same.  I have actually put on weight I'm guessing I will lose it so no harm done.  Thanks for listening. 😃
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options

• Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @Flindersia I had a lumpectomy Dec. '17, how the time flys!! Like @CRM , I had a really good result following my operation with clear margins so all I had to endure was 3 weeks of rad treatment. I had NO chemo & I am on NO drugs/medication. I was very lucky. You are doing the right thing staying calm as it's no use worrying over treatment/decisions that may not happen. the goal posts change all the time so one thing I learnt early on, is to deal with what you know & what is your next step. Initially, I was overthinking everything, lumpectomy, mastectomy, chemo, drugs, radiation.......etc & most of that list I didnt even have to worry about. I only spent 1 night in hospital following my operation but did have 2 weeks off work to recover. The rad treatment was easy & I didnt have any side effects at all.
    As your lump was found early, you may be one of the lucky ones like me & not even have to have chemo & you may not even need rad treatment. I was told I didnt have to have rad but as my DCIS was aggressive, even though it was stage 1, the medical team said it probably would be the best thing to do.
    The hardest thing to do is to stay calm but it sounds like you are doing really well & focusing on being positive. Stress & cancer dont mix so breathe, stay strong & good luck for 1st August. Let us know how you get on. Love & hugs xx 
  • Flindersia
    Flindersia Member Posts: 9
    Options

@Anne65 thank you. Yes I'm  trying to carry on as
    normal.  I will take on board staying calm.  I will certainly update  here about  my results.

@CRM Thank you for your positive advice.   Good luck with your  treatment.  I am hoping my treatment will be minimal. Keeping fingers and toes crossed.

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    All the best for your surgery. The results get sent away and can take a week or two to get back with the official cancer type so at least you can get over the op and wait some more to find out about other treatment. It's a while lot of waiting. Try to mix walking exercise in so you stay fit.