Forum Discussion
KayB55
7 years agoMember
Preparation
I was diagnosed last Friday and it has been a rush of appointments, tests etc. I think I am in shock and just going through the process but the reality is that I will start chemo next week. I have been reading the advice in the paperwork I have. There is only me but I am well supported by friends. Are there some day to day things that I need to be doing now before treatment starts which will make life simpler. I am not a good housekeeper, should I do a big clean in the house or get a professional cleaner in? I know this is a pathetic question.
19 Replies
- AllyJayMemberI drank Bickford's Lime cordial with plenty of chipped ice and craved Salt and Vinegar chippies. The tangy, sharp taste disguised the metallic taste in my mouth. Also took my Kindle and my knitting and Slumbies, slipper socks with non slip soles for comfort.
- KayB55MemberMany thanks. I have added this to my very long but very useful list.
- FlaneuseMember@KayB55 Ginger beer is good during chemo. It helps settle the tummy and is a nice replacement for a proper drink when your taste buds don't feel like it.
A box of disposable gloves in the bathroom. - MahaicaMemberThe first chemo treatment is tough because you don’t what to expect. I had my second cycle of AC chemo today drove home had dinner and slept and I am up now. Everyone reacts differently my doctor told they prepare you for the worst . So try and go with the flow just try and tell yourself what if I my treatment goes well with little side effect. I suffer from anxiety so I have to constantly reduce my anxiety and not over think things too much . Cheers wish you the best of luck.
- Blossom1961MemberI stopped answering my phone too. I got tired of stupid statements.
- KayB55MemberMany thanks. I have my list of shopping I need to do tomorrow before chemo and I'll get that diary to record everything because my brain is definitely not working well and I think I will stop answering the telephone.
- SisterMemberI bought a zipup 2 ring binder from Officeworks (then upgraded to a similar lever arch file as it wasn't big enough) some coloured dividers and some plastic sleeves. Everything went into that so it was both filed and it could be taken with me to appointments if necessary.
I also used to keep a notepad on the kitchen bench and record meds, temps, how I was feeling and any questions. Before each appointment, I would pull out the relevant information and pop it into a word doc - a brief diary, a list of symptoms and whatever questions I had. Onc added these to my file. - Yup, @Afraser is quite right - aplace to keep all your reports/results etc is a must. A blank journal - I wrote a few lines in mine every night, as much to make sense of things and keep track of what was happening to me as anything. The best gift I got was from my kids - they bought me a sodastream because ordinary water tasted so awful when I was having chemo, but sparkling was lovely, especially with a squeeze of lemon!
Doing a mad clean and tidy before everything kicks off will at least keep your mind off what ifs and make you feel as though you're achieving something - AfraserMemberThere is one - I found it was too focussed on treatment and appointments for my purposes, my simple word document could do that but also accommodate as much or as diverse writing as I felt like. A file for your appointments, reports, anything at all you may want to refer to or check is invaluable. Keeping them in one place (a file/box with separations works well) saves time and hassle.
- KayB55MemberIs the journal in the My Journey Kit,that sounds just perfect for me. I need to get a specific diary to record everything down so I can keep track of what is happening.