Ideas for podcast for those just diagnosed

Options

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Jax1964 I've been treated in the private system and have had a mixture of superb, good, inadequate and woeful care across three different hospitals. It seems to be luck of the draw wherever you are.
  • Jax1964
    Jax1964 Member Posts: 76
    Options

kmakm said:

@Jax1964 I've been treated in the private system and have had a mixture of superb, good, inadequate and woeful care across three different hospitals. It seems to be luck of the draw wherever you are.

And it's certainly not exclusive to cancer. 
    If you're making a podcast aimed specifically at newly diagnosed, they don't need to be distracted by flowery posters and sugar-coated smiling faces. It sets up false expectations which can only lead to disappointment - and someone who is a stunned mullet from the shock of diagnosis does not need more frustration piled on top.

There are already a dozen treacle-laced cancer podcasts without an ounce of reality, make something different.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Jax1964 That is awful for you. I hope you had someone with you to give you hugs. 😢
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Found all the questions i asked in those early days...thought i  had thrown them out. I have loosely grouped them.
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    I have been extremely lucky going through the public system. Have no complaints. Everyone has been amazingly awesome 
  • Skinnylatte
    Skinnylatte Member Posts: 10
    Options
    While psychology is key early on,  every experience is different.  The range of what you might feel,  not" you will", and where to ask for help.  I was terrified of mounting costs (after being stung big time in by using private health 9 months ago for a broken bone), and found surgeon super helpful. Happy to put me on public list instead of private,  got every bit of info on out of pocket possible.  But,  it was imaging pathology,  that were still unexpectedly $$$
    Ended up private,  and other than surgery, pathology  (now in chemo,) my health fund is paying up, and very happy with care,  direct access to own oncologist being maybe a defining factor. You can switch between systems,  decision you make at the start doesn't mean you can't move systems,  or hospitals,  whatever. 
    Things move so fast in early days,  take time to consider,  regroup, 2nd opinion if you need it - reassure that breast surgery is not an emergency.
    Making decisions about recon etc in that headspace - how to put your own feelings about it to the fore.  I opted to deal with that at the other end of the journey (if at all), and very comfortable with that,  and the lesser risk of complications etc. 

• Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Financial, financial is a must , not everyone has a whole stash put away and flipping between public and private can add up.

Ask onc, surgeon, physio and pchyco , radio costs, whether they do both public and private .

Additional cost which are lifetime ongoing like prescription for Tamoxifen and Xgeva , can add up.

Accessing Super Funds is a nightmare , there should be an easier way if you are diagnosed to access the funds, if you are diagnosed with a non curative cancer it should be up to you when you have access to your funds .

Liking your Oncologist is a must, my one is a Professor and he is fantastic , he has a heart which you quickly find out most Dr's don't have as you will be under their wing for the long term.

As much as people say you can still work while treatment it is another stress that if you can avoid it , in my opinion is better, concentrate on yourself and immediate family  again money is involved.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Good financial advice would be timely - the 7.30 Report last night quoted two breast cancer patients, one citing
    $25,000 out of pocket and counting, without outlining what made up the amount. My own experience was nothing like that. Very scary if the impression is given that all treatment involves such sums. 
  • pammiesyd
    pammiesyd Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Another important issue is getting arm measurements done in case lymphedema rears its ugly head.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Exactly the point that I was about to raise, @pammiesyd. So important
  • Jax1964
    Options
    I have just binged all 5 episodes of the Upfront podcast.
    I have to say...the sound quality is awful.
    I have an excellent bluetooth system in my vehicle and listen to 100s of podcasts about 4 hours a day - I had to turn Upfront off -  I could not hear most of the discussion.
    Please PLEASE get a proper sound engineer and check the levels - especially when you have 3 people mic'd. 

I won't comment too much about the content - I could not relate to most of it.
    My pathway through the medical minefield did not match what was being said and if I had listened to this podcast when I was first diagnosed, I would have had very inflated expectations.
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi @Jax1964 I will look into it and check with the production team at BCNA. I listened to the side effects podcast recently and had no issues. The podcasts are based on individuals and their experience so your point is a good one that it may or may not resonate with one's own experience. Any ideas most welcome for future podcasts.
  • Jax1964
    edited July 2019
    Options

Riki_BCNA said:

I listened to the side effects podcast recently and had no issues. 

It's not so noticeable in a quiet room. Listen to it in a car and you will hear the difference with each mic. Particularly Ep 1 but all need to be balanced/remixed.
  • Riki_BCNA
    Options
    Hi @Jaz1964 will do. Thanks for letting us know.
  • Riki_BCNA
    Options
    Apologies @Jax1964 for the typo above