Should I avoid shopping centres during Chemo?

Options
2»

Comments

• Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Options
    Hello @Ellie_Goli and welcome. Please don’t hesitate to call us at BCNA on 1800 500258 for any information or support. Wishing you all the best for your next cycle of chemo.
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Eucalyptus oil is one of natures 'anti-bug' gifts. It only takes a drop in a cup of water to be anti-bug, I put this into a small spray bottle, like the Orange Power spray bottles, and carry it in my hand bag. Lavender is also pretty potent. I made sure I bought a pure essence lavender but the eucalyptus is off the supermarket shelf from the laundry dept. I have become very sensitive to all artificial scents/perfumes since beginning treatment. I also spray the handles of shopping trolleys - is that going to far? Ellie_Goli sounds as though you are set up and feeling better is always a good place to be.
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    I didn’t avoid the shops or functions we had so many in the initial round of chemo. I went a sell out football match caught public transport, had about 5 school functions and didn’t use hand sanitizer once!  If I was going to get sick sleeping n3xt to my husband who has had a non stop sinus infection was going to be my problem. The only place I took precautions was at the gp - that’s where the sick people are

obviously I didn’t go out of my way to get infected but I didn’t put my life on hold except for when I was feeling too ill to move
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I had forgotten about the GP - mine told me that whenever I had an appointment to ring reception and tell them I was waiting outside until I was called.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    @Sister. When I  go to see my G.P. every month, for my Xgeva injection, I wait in the nurse's room. Doctors' rooms and hospitals are the worst places for catching an infection.

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,380
    Options
    My GP clinic takes me to my own separate waiting space. Usually an unoccupied doctors room.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I would suck on an antibacterial strepsils when I had to go shopping. I also stuck to areas where there were seats handy for if I got a little light headed.