Should I avoid shopping centres during Chemo?

Options

Hi Everyone. 
I was diagnosed with triple negative grade 3 breast cancer in November. I started my neoadjuvant chemotherapy on 29th of November and another is coming up on 13th of December. Side effects weren’t too bad except I felt down in the dumps for the whole week. Walked everyday and did some exercise but it didn't make my mood any better. I went to shopping centre yesterday and I felt alive again... but friends keep telling me that I should avoid public places like shopping centres because of crowd and possibility of getting sick with low immune system and etc... Did you avoid going to shopping centres during your chemotherapy? Did you avoid eating out in restaurants?

A little about me; I am 38; mum to a beautiful 5.5 years old boy and wife to a lovely husband. I have supportive parents and good bunch of friends around me but since chemo I can't focus and see happiness in my life anymore. I am not sure if it is chemo side effect or it has just hit me that I have cancer. I was okay right before chemo...

P.S. I have started to read the posts here since day 1 and it really helped me a lot. Just wanted to thank all of you that take the time and post and respond. You are so caring, kind and lovely. Thanks for being here. Ellie.

Tagged:

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @Ellie_Goli I carried on pretty much as normal during chemo but I had the neulasta injection after each chemo dose. I just carried around lots of alcohol hand foam and if one of the part timers at work was sick we just kept our distance. Didn’t get sick once and still haven’t yet. 

Normal ro feel overwhelmed and down in the dumps - it’s a lot to deal with and process. It could be that chemo has made the whole situation “real” for u. I had 3 surgeries prior to chemo. 

Ladies here  are wonderfully supportive. Don’t know what I would of done without them 

big hugs xoxoox
  • Ellie_Goli
    Ellie_Goli Member Posts: 6
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel - I did get that injection too so hopefully I will be fine as well. I will carry alcohol hand foam as you suggested... 
    I will be working 3 days from home and one day from office starting this week but I was stressing about it ... good to know that you continued your normal life during chemo ... that's encouraging :smile: 

It did get real :neutral:
  • Kiwi Angel
    Options
    @Ellie_Goli I managed to work most of chemo. I would just have my chemo day off then work Tuesday, Wednesday and then be off from Thursday till Monday or Tuesday when most of the side effects kicked in. Bone pain was the worst for me but that improved with stronger pain meds. Every cycle was different though and it is cumulative so be kind to yourself and take time off if u need it.  xoxo
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Elli_Goli Good grief. Cancer takes away enough. Go shopping! Enjoy. Do what cheers you up. Having an outlet is what helps us get through.
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Hi @Ellie_Goli like you I was triple neg grade 3.  I agree with the others.  Do what you feel you can.  I think all of us carry our trusty bottle of hand cleanser around like our best friend I know I still do and I am 7 weeks post treatment.  I found the first 2 weeks of chemo I didn't go out but in the last week before chemo again I hit the coffee shops with good friends which gave me something to look forward to  xo
  • Ellie_Goli
    Options
    @Blossom1961 Exactly 😊 I have already canceled my Christmas break holidays which was so upsetting. At least I want to have my happy shopping life back 😋

@Kiwi Angel Good to know about the work schedule; will talk about it when I am in office this week...

@kitkatb  I am on dose dense so only have two weeks between the two cycles. I know it is cumulative but hoping to be okay enough on second week... fingers crossed 🤞 

Any recommendation on the hand cleanser brand/type? 

• Kiwi Angel
    Options
    @Ellie_Goli u will sort out what works for u re work. I ended up taking some extra time my last 2 cycles and the side effects lingered longer. Luckily I had lots of sick leave and a great boss. 
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    I was the opposite  ;) !During my 12 weeks of chemo (HER2+) I laid low and stayed away from crowded places and public transport during and also for a while after chemo as it was flu season and I didn't want the flu shot on top of all the other muck in my body. I used Dettol hand sanitiser but too much of it gives me dermatitis. My daughter buys a lovely one from Flora and Fauna which is lavender based, I think its called Dr Bronner ??, effective but expensive if you use it all the time. Good luck with everything @Ellie_Goli ! So glad you have wonderful support and a bright little boy to keep you grounded but go easy on yourself as everything will test your energy levels and sometimes it is all about you. I'm coming up to my 2 year op anniversary next week so can really relate to you being diagnosed near Christmas, enjoy it with your family !

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    edited December 2018
    Options
    As someone with mets, there is nothing that will stop me from doing normal things.
    My medication makes me have low neutrophils but I  work in a school and swim in a public pool. 
    For me, it is all about quality of life. 
    AND when I was having I.V. chemo., I couldn't wait to finish that day's  treatment so that I  could go to work for a couple of hours. I was so bored.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I can understand that! I did the same when I was having chemo.  But of course I could not have done it in a sea of nausea or fatigue. I was always grateful that 'normal' stayed with me through treatment, that I could choose to redefine it after treatment (and have been NED to date, which is an added benefit) and did not have to cope much with imposed and undesired changes to what I could do or wanted to do. We are not defined by having cancer, but side effects can block the horizon sometimes. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I couldn't have avoided going to the shops if I wanted too when I had chemo (large family). I was careful not to touch my hands to my face until I could wash them when I got home but that was it. If friends and family were sick they stayed away. My onc didn't prescribe the neulasta injection. I didn't get sick once during chemo.

Hand sanitisers are all much of a muchness. Just choose the one you like the smell of best. I like the Thank You brand one. Hang in there. big hug, K xox
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    And use moisturiser straight after hand sanitiser. They dry your hands out.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Welcome @Ellie_Goli Glad you've found us.  I know that lots of people have given you info but for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents.  I work in a school and though I was on leave during chemo, I did go in at different times but avoided those times when there were lots of students around.  If I was in a situation where there was a large mob of people (waiting for my daughter to finish an exam is an example), I just hung out on the edge.  I always carried hand sanitiser in my bag as well as wipes for my hands, and some larger disinfectant wipes in case I had to use trolleys, etc. that seemed suss, or public toilets.  I probably didn't need to be as concerned but I figured it didn't hurt.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Most grocery shops have those wipes now, so I used to just wipe down the handles and upper areas of the shopping trolley . I didn't really avoid anything except people with heavy colds. Then just didn't hug abd kiss them as precaution. When travelling I carried bacterial wipes for the public loos (and some peoples homes) and just used hand bacteria if no soap available..
  • Ellie_Goli
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I went to shops again today and got the sanetiser, wipes and hand cream. Even buying these stuff made me feel better  😅