If you could be anywhere else right now where would that be?

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Romla
    Oh that was so nostalgic. Took me back to my childhood. My Aunty grew me up ( my mother had TB). Aunty and Uncle lived 1 street back from the beach. Many an afternoon after school was spent on the beach with  the cousins (all 9 of them of various ages).  Aunty and uncle also played the old 45's and 78's on their gramophone in their loungeroom. Who remembers the old vinyl records, record players and gramophones?

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,510
    That would be Me @Annie C  .... I have an old 78 record player downstairs and I still have my original old 1980s stereo ... that played 45s and 33s!  ;) 

We’ve always lived near water - as kids, we were always at the beach too ... and we have water views here.  I love it.
  • Annie C
    @arpie
    I forgot about the 33's. I remember once  I borrowed (stole) my older sister's portable (read clunky that took 2 arms to carry it) record player and some of her Elvis Presley 45's. Only I left them in the sun one summer's day and they sure weren't playable after that. Bent and buckled!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    @Annie C was part on my mother’s record collection and recorded in the year I was born - still a favourite of mine.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,510
    Oooops!!  And she didn’t kill you!!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    How lucky are you @arpie .I grew up 5 minutes by car from the local beach and .after school on hot days we had dinner at the beach only heading home when darkness and coolness descended.Every weekend we ‘d pack up and head down the coast to our closest surf beach and spend all day catching waves.I guess that was the typical Aussie kid’s life in the 50s and 60s.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Ooh, @lgray3911, time travel, a whole new dimension to this discussion!
  • kmakm
    @Sister Isn't that always the way? I thought so too and now, when I look back at the photos, good lordy, what was I thinking??! No self-esteem, no confidence. Since I was pregnant with my eldest I've wanted to raise them to value themselves, on every level, than I ever did.
  • kmakm
    @LMK74 Oh that is heart breaking, and beautiful. The biggest of hugs. K xox
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,531
    @LMK74
    I'd give anything to have a cuppa or a phone call with Mum.
    Heart goes out to you 
    Take care 
  • Annie C
    @arpie
    Nearly. I did lose my pocket money for some weeks. Although I don't know how many  Elvis Presley records 1 shilling a week would buy!
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    @iserbrown and @kmakm, it's been three years now and some days like today the grief comes flooding back like it was just yesterday. I long to see her, hug her, and just be with her. There is no place I'd  rather be.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @lmk74 I was saying to a colleague yesterday that when anything happens, I feel as if I need to do something and then realise that something is picking up the phone to tell my Mum.  She's been gone nearly 19 years.  I think for many of us, that bond never goes away.  And I've missed her more than ever this last year - I'm only thankful that I never had to tell her of my diagnosis.

I just sold all of my vinyl @Annie C @arpie @romla - a good feeling to no longer have to look after it!

Do you remember the Sunscreen Song @kmakm - "you'll look back at photos of yourself..." - I didn't realise how true it would be ("and look after your knees; you'll miss them when they're gone"). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

I so wish I could get to the beach for a couple of days but I can't see it happening even for an afternoon for weeks!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    I've just bought an album on eBay that the whole family used to love when we were kids - its Favourite Animal Songs by the Mike Sammes singers from the 60/70's and has songs like How much is that doggy in the window, I'm a gnu, The Siamese cat song, Little white bull (currently music being used for Coles little red car - insurance). Am going to visit my sister in her new house at Wyndham NSW just after Christmas and will take the album with me and I already know we'll have a sing along and lots of laughs and I can't wait to see their faces as this album is associated with very fond memories. :-) 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Re "Sunscreen" @Sister. I had to walk out of the Baz Luhrmann version of "The Great Gatsby". I felt that it was a rehash of his earlier movies. I studied the novel for uni. and really like to watch the Robert Redford, Mia Farrow version of the movie.
    We have three turntables, as well as hundreds of 45's and LPs. My husband collects records. 
    Today, I would like to be listening to an old style radio with my mum. I haven't had  her for 30 years.