Can’t Sleep

Options
2»

Comments

• Wonk
    Wonk Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Thank you Sister, the list is getting longer, but such great practical help.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Hi there @Wonk...excellent suggestions for your hospital list. I took my own tea, coffee and Bickford's Lime Cordial. Also some hard sweets like Werther's, peppermints etc. Front opening nightwear is a must as are easy to get on slippers, (no bending and having to use your finger to help slipper on). My hospital was also very particular about them having a non slip sole. Also took my kindle as holding a paperback or magazine whilst lying down was tricky for me having a bilateral as well as having joint problems in my wrists and hands. Also took a light pashmina shawl to put over my neck and shoulders as the air conditioning is often a tad chilly. Took a selection of knitting as well as I love doing that.
  • Wonk
    Wonk Member Posts: 61
    Options
    Slippers!  Didn't even think about them, and you're right I remember the hospital being cold when I had kids. Thanks AllyJay, most helpful.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Oh @allyjay - I remember taking a pashmina on the second visit, too.  Height of Summer but during the first stay I was often huddling under a blanket.  I don't know what the hospital you are going to is like @wonk but the one I was in had a garden and my surgeon (not the nursing staff) was very happy for me to to outside and walk around when I got cabin fever.  And it certainly beat doing laps of the corridor.  But I still had to keep the compression stockings on so I needed easy to put on shoes that would fit over the stockings.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Add a thermos cup to the list, ladies. That way you can have a decent cuppa that stays hot.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I second the pashmina suggestion. My hospital room for the BMX & recon was freezing.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Annie C What a beautiful story. I think someone should paint you with your arms around the boab in that courtyard. It would be an extraordinary image. K xox
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @kmakm
    Aw Kate I like that idea. Will have to suggest it to my artist friend. What a great  momento to have.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    @Annie C  - that brought tears to my eyes - what a beautiful story & lovely people xxxx   If Keith & I get over there, he could do it!! He's painted animals on the base of our Palm Trees!  ;) 

Gosh @Wonk - I am thinking of you as you approach your time in hospital - I am coming up to my 12 months from 'detection' scans .... Everyone here is just wonderful - and will have answers or suggestions for pretty well anything you may think of to ask!!  

Sleep is the first thing that is affected, I reckon - and I hate to tell you - it is often ongoing  :(  Melatonin tabs can also help.

Re hospital - As well as the ear plugs (I use these ones below) - you squash them into a really thin sausage & shove them RIGHT INTO your ear & block out most noise!) You can get them from Bunnings (and possibly chemists.)  They are great - and when shoved in, are not at all uncomfortable.  I also take my airline 'eye mask' as well - as hospitals always have lights on everywhere - it can be very difficult to block out the light.  Short stories or magazines are good - no point taking a 'Novel' in - as you get interrupted more often than not & just read the same chapter 10 time!  :(  

Make sure you have a little cushion (mine was like a 1/3 size cushion size) to help support the arm on the affected side whilst you sleep after your surgery .... Sometimes your breast care nurse may provide you with one - I had one from previous shoulder surgery.  I used it for at least a month afterwards!

And make sure you take ALL the medication regularly for as long as you need after your surgery, whether you think you 'need it' or not. Specially in the early days - you don't want to full pain to break thru as it can be difficult to control otherwise. 

If any of your buddies suggest they can help you in any way - see if they can cook up a few meals & freeze them for you, so that on your return home, you don't have to worry about shopping & cooking for a few days. One buddy did that for me & it was wonderful.  I was able to milk them out to last a week of evening meals.

Best advice - make haste slowly afterwards.  Accept any help that is offered from family & friends xx

Take care & all the best for your surgery this week. xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    That made me remember @arpie... Second time round I took a laptop and a couple of movies.  I didn't have the concentration to do much reading and it certainly beat middle of the night TV.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I don't need to ask the question because this thread already answers it. I have added to my already packed bag. I forgot I would need slip on slippers rather than my trusty Uggs. Will have to buy some. Werthers are going on to my list too! I get too many hot flashes for a pashmina but will take my throw just in case.