Get Real

Options
Blossom1961
Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
edited October 2018 in General discussion
So I woke up this morning not wanting to deal with non real people. After posting the thread on unspoken thoughts it got me rattled. People ask me how I am but answer for me because they don't want to really know. "How are you you look amazing it is so good to see you so positive every week" How do you respond to that? It isn't really a question when you think about it. I love going to my cancer clinic support centre because there I meet real people who are going through the same things and being honest. I am now valuing honesty above complimentary words spoken. I find myself psycho analysing peoples words to see if they are being honest or not. Last week I had the joy of travelling a couple of hours and visiting with a group of friends who were real and genuine. Now I am struggling to come back to the typical. Tomorrow is my last Paclitaxel. Maybe I will be able to deal with this in a few months and I should just bury my head in the sand for now and pretend everything is okay. Has anyone else had their friendships, thoughts, etc turned upside down?
Tagged:

Comments

• Fletch
    Fletch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Absolutely yes,yes,and more yes.
    To the point where I cant sensibly comment here at the moment.  But you have taken the thoughts straight out of my head.....i wish US, all of us well in sorting thru this mind mess.xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Yeah, support--and disappointment--come from unexpected quarters. I accept most people don't know what to say. Hell, I've been through this twice and I still dont know what to say.

I think I've developed a 'emdar' that identifies people who are genuinely kind and empathetic and flags those who are just curious, speculative or looking for a juicy story to tell at their next coffee klatch. I've lost friends (can you? Or were you wrong from the start) and had some people i hardly knew surprise me with their unqualified support. Those with a mild case of the bumbles and foot in mouth disease I now indulge with more patience than I could muster even a year ago. The predatory get short shrift. I try not to get angry with insincerity. Let's say that is still a work in progress. Mxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Most people do not know how to react to our situation.  Some are very good and tune in to how far to push the compassion button and others just make a right twit of themselves. 
    You are the most important in all this!  Maybe this saying will make them think!!

• Bbbcm
    Bbbcm Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Most people don't want to know. I just smile and say ok. Ok that you think I'm looking good when i feel shit but thats ok because im not here for your approval.  Alot do seem to need me to say im fine. If it is a close friend  i tell it like it is. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Bbbcm I like that! I can do that! I can say the 'right' things but be thinking (that's okay because I'm not here for your approval) Done!!! Everybody is happy.