Two years on

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
edited October 2018 in Day to day

I don't keep track of exact dates anymore, but it was early October 2016 when my recurrence was diagnosed. How time flies. Not. I don't know where the last two years have gone; sometimes it feels like it's only been a week, sometimes it feels like it's been an entire lifetime.

So, after repeating the whole performance again--surgery, chemo, rads, hormone therapy--I'm pleased to report that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. That isn't the proverbial train. I've just had a month off the AI treatment and am back at work. My energy levels are still low, and there is physical damage that will probably never resolve, but I wasn't exactly in mint condition when the shit hit the fan again anyway. Now I just feel like a slightly battered version of my old self, but I do feel like it might be possible to get some sort of productive life happening.

I'm back at the oncologist tomorrow to report on the AI break and get my script renewed--it's just too risky to stop taking them--but I have hope that the next two years wont be as screwed up as the last two.

Take heart, if I can crawl out of the mud, you can too. The improvements may be slow, in fact they can be bloody imperceptible, and there is a vast menu of side effects and complications to work through, but it is possible to wake up, get up and get going. It all takes time.

Mxx

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    And I'm coming up for the big 12 months! Ha!  Yes, @afraser Better to be over the hill than under it.  Too many people I've known have not had the luxury of ageing.

@zoffiel It's so good to hear that things are going well for you.

@brenda5 No news is good news!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    That is BRILLIANT @Zoffiel    Taking a break from the AI sounds interesting ..... if it takes 4-6 weeks to ‘kick in’ .... the odd break would still have it in the system?  

Well done @Brenda5. .... are you still on your AI break too?

• wren71
    wren71 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank so much for sharing your milestone. X
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Congrats @Zoffiel, I'm coming up to 2 years post diagnosis in November , feeling a bit like you too, an old lady version of my former self :smile: but more than grateful to be here . 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    That is wonderful to hear M. You sound... not grumpy! Was it the return to work that gave you the final push to see that light at the end of the tunnel do you think? Gainful employment is such a boost to your self-esteem, especially if it's work you like. Plus the steady flow of incoming dollars...

You give me hope, and no doubt many others. I'm so happy for you!! Kate xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Great to hear @Zoffiel,

Halloween will be my two year mark. Work always helps a bit I think.  Although I would much rather win the lotto and sip Margaritas in Tahiti, but you know.

The light does start to appear,  albeit small glimpses at the beginning and the clouds start to dissipate with time and tweaking of things.

Well done you.
    Awesome lovely.

xoxoxox
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    No @arpie I am back on the Tamoxifen after my month break. It was bliss!
  • Kat09
    Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269
    Options
    Another milestone @Zoffiel, congrats!!!

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options

Zoffiel said:

Take heart, if I can crawl out of the mud, you can too. The improvements may be slow, in fact they can be bloody imperceptible, and there is a vast menu of side effects and complications to work through, but it is possible to wake up, get up and get going. It all takes time.

Mxx

Very wise words!  

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Yeah on 2 years and dragging yourself  back. X

• poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    That's how I feel some days!!  :D