One more sleep until the diagnosis

Options

Comments

• wren71
    wren71 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you everyone. @kmakm I looked up headspace. It looks good but is there a free version? I keep finding ‘packages’. A friend got me into the app ‘insight’ which has been good. Thank you @Giovanna_BCNA I’ll keep the number in mind. I’ve only let myself go to this website. It has everything and is positive. Before I found it general google was doing my head in. 
    I’d really like to change my username to @wren71 but can seem to manage it. I didn’t think before joining that my current username is quite identifiable and I love the idea of anonymity when expressing my feelings. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Giovanna_BCNA Is @DomThom able to change her username?  Or should she re-register?

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Yes, there is a free introductory version.

Good idea re Dr Google. Best to stay away. Anything Macmillian (the UK version of BCNA) is fine but I'm very wary of the rest. High caution required! K xox
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @wren71, @Sister
    Your username has been changed to wren71 regards Giovanna
  • steplightly
    steplightly Member Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi @wren71 Thinking of you and hoping your appointment provided you with the information you needed for the next part of your process.  Little steps and deep breaths as you learn a new language and try and grapple with the outcome that is uniquely yours despite being part of this bc village.  Big hugs to you.. xo
  • wren71
    Options
    I’ve really appreciated everyone’s support here. Every time someone writes breathe I literally start breathe better. It was a yes to malignancy and I have an appt with a surgeon tomorrow. It’s what I expected given everyone’s reaction last Friday. At least tomorrow I’ll know a bit more. :-( 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,586
    Options
    That’s a bugger, but as you say, as expected.  Even DEEPER breaths now ... hopefully it will be deemed small enough for minimal surgery and not found in the nodes ..... your surgeon will take you thru the next steps and time frame.

All the best for your meeting .... definitely take a buddy along as an extra set of ears, and for moral support, too 

take care xx
  • Fletch
    Fletch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Best wishes,@wren71,it really is like learning anew language as@steplightly said , a language we have not learnt by choice but the more you understand the more you will feel some control. Like everything ....do it all in your own time.
    I too have found this forum a truely safe haven. 
    Go well. Xxx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This forum has been similarly invaluable for me @wren71. I'm sorry the news was not good, but that's one ghastly thing over and done with. It's good you're seeing your BS this week, he/she will have a plan for you and you'll go into the weekend with a bit more certainty. You'll be able to convey that to the kids.

Have you got a breast care nurse yet? And the My Journey kit? Both can be amazing. Lots of advice on how to handle the kids.

My advice would be open and honest with them. Kids fill in gaps if they're left blank, and sometimes erroneously. I have four (with particular circumstances) and found that two were good with whatever I told them, but the other two needed more detail for reassurance. Sometimes I disappeared into my own head and forgot to communicate which led to consternation, worry and misunderstanding.

So, more breathing! Have you tried 4-7-8? It's very good for calming the nervous system. You breathe in through the nose for 4 seconds, hold it for 7 seconds and then breathe out through your mouth for eight seconds. Do that five times.  I find that very helpful, including when I'm trying to get to sleep.

Big hug, K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    While it's still not fun, you will probably find that things will settle down when you have a plan of action.  That plan might change but it's still a way forward out of the fog.  Expect that you may be sent for more tests.  Surgeons tend to like to know everything before they start.  Which surgeon are you going to?
  • wren71
    Options
    Sorry I haven’t replied. I had surgery with Dr Birrell on Monday at Burnside. 
    I’m home now. He said the surgery went like clock work. I’ll get the pathology results on Friday and see him again next week.
    i feel very lucky. I’m sore under my arm from that incision but am not having much discomfort with my breast incision (under it) 
  • arpie
    Options
    Good to have that under your belt!  

All the best wth your pathology results on Fri, @wren71  Maybe take someone with you as an extra set of ears, or even record it?  I did!  You can never remember everything they tell you!

Have you got a small pillow to help support that arm, so it doesn't aggravate the cut further?  The pillow may help. My under arm hurt for ages (about a month) and my nodes were removed  from the incision around the nipple!

Rest up, sleep lots, take care xx
  • wren71
    Options
    He’s going to call on Friday. So I’ll need to write it down. Doesn’t want me to have to wait until next Wednesday when I see him. 
    Thy gave me a little pillow that looks like a neck pillow, especially made for post op breast cancer. I’m carrying it around like a security blanket x
    You give such useful and thoughtful advice. Thank you 😊 
  • arpie
    Options
    Thank you!!  It is terrific that the surgeon was so happy with his handiwork too!  ;)  

You could always put your phone on loud speaker & use another one to record it (if you can pinch someone else's?)  That way you can still chat with him on loud speaker as well.   (I am not sure if you can record your own conversation without using a recording device, or possibly connected to a computer via the usb?!)  Some tech boffin may be able to help you there!

Great that you have the pillow as support - you may be using it for many weeks to come!  ;)    It is a good little security blanket to have!   I had to buy my own & use it at night now as my 'reading cushion' - I think it is a tad bigger than the 'proper ones'!  LOL  (oblong shape)

Take care & all the best for Fri - not too long to wait now! xx
  • Scorpio101
    Scorpio101 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    That all embracing rush at the beginning when everything passes in a blur, with overload of information.  Was 4 months for me before I finally stopped and had a chance to think....what the hell has just happened!?  I wrote on here my story and I have had amazing support and advice from the ladies, why ? because we have all had the experiences, confusion and fright you are going through.  I hope you find your way,  don't forget the write things down, talk with social workers or like minded people who can talk with your family...especially husband and children.  My husband was a mess !!!   I wish you well, a stress free journey, and send moral support, love and hugs to remind you will find that this is an awesome place to talk and vent.  I know I did.   <3