Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Kisqali on PBS, very few will get it.

Options

Comments

• wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 8
    Options
    In case there is any confusion.  If you are prepared to pay,   your oncologist will write you a script for 'ribociclib' or
    'pabociclib'   REGARDLESS of whether you have previously taken an Aromatose inhibitor.   I have done it. 
    If you oncologist refuses go to another.  PLEASE double check on what you are told by the BCNA.  wendylou
  • Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    WendyLou,

This is the email of received and in fairness to BCNA - I think it makes sense.
    I read the PBS listing like you did - I explained why. 

Dear...

I wanted to reach out to you to respond to one of the posts you responded to around eligibility criteria for PBS ribociclib.

I followed up today with Novartis seeking clarification as to whether there was a restriction for women who had received and aromatase inhibitor in the adjuvant setting. The lead medical advisor advised me today that there is no restriction on women who progress to develop metastatic disease following a diagnosis from early breast cancer even if they did receive an AI in the past for their early stage disease. Obviously this needs to be a one on one discussion between a doctor and individual women as to what the best treatment is and past treatment will come into those discussions.

I am concerned that your post about concerns for all those women who have received an AI in the post not being able to access this drug should they go onto progress to metastatic disease sends a false message and is causing angst amongst the online community.

Is it possible that you could repost to advise the online community that BCNA has been able to clarify this for you and reassure women who are worried?

Happy to chat to you over the phone if you need further clarification.

Kind regards

Danielle

I corrected my post. 

This is the PBAC recommendation 

It adresses Palbociclib and finds Ribociclib a comparable alternative in  the last paragraph.
    I knew that the govermenrt did not reach a deal with Pfizer on Palbociclib.

IMO the PBS phraseology is skewed. I was not aware that men have been included and are happy to hear it - I think we are still missing some big groups from the listing - so yes progress, but a lot of work left to do.

That is really all I have to say.

• Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    Options
    One final word - absolutely if you have questions regarding you INDIVIDUAL eligibility and access to these drugs you must speak to your oncologist - there are both PBS, compassionate grounds and trials available in Australia and they will chosen based on your individual case history.

My comments where regaining ongoing advocacy for these drugs and other options being available for all women who may need them - they were NOT specific to any one individual.

The OP commented on some of these not being available to all women - and we went looking for clarification of what is on PBS. In no way did any comments refer to specific individuals and their management.

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    So complicated, too much information for me, will speak to my oncologist end of July - to see what is best for me, will continue on xeloda for as long as I can, and hope that the whole situation becomes more user friendly in the coming months,DISCRIMINATION - is the term that springs to mind.
    wendy55
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,592
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I consider myself a reasonably educated person who did well at English to Higher School Certificate (as it was called back then .... matter of fact, I was taught by an ex Prime Minister's wife to HSC level ......) & altho I DON'T have Met BC ..... I know people who DO .... 

And I couldn't understand much of the PBS 'requirements' at all!   :(   (Please See my post on Page 1 that is an exact QUOTE from the PBS website re the 'eligibility requirements' for PBS prices ....)

I must be extremely thick!  :(

PLEASE discuss this with your personal oncologist & get the info STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE's MOUTH!

I will be suggesting the same to my buddy!  

Please don't get all upset over this - as it may NOT relate to you!

Remember - there are also compassionate grounds that your Onc can use to get you onto the medication at PBS prices.

They can only say Yea or Nay!!

Give it a go!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    It's pretty incomprehensible isn't it @arpie?! And I got 84% in my HSC English exam!
  • arpie
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yep, @kmakm  - it has totally flummoxed me, too!!

I can't remember what my actual level was .... but it was reasonably high!!   And I've only ever spoken English (tho I dabbled in French there at one stage .... and my French teacher resigned at the end of my HSC year - and i think I was responsible for it!!  She moved to France to teach French Students, English!!)   I can still remember her trying to get us to unlock the Classroom Door ...... 'Toc Toc - ouvrez la port!'    No-one did!!   LOL  Poor little bugger!   :(   She was REALLY TINY - Her head didn't even reach the first window pane of the door, so we pretended we did see OR hear her!  Gee we must have been naughty little buggers!!  :(

And I STILL don't know what 'Grandfather Patients' are ..... no-one else has mentioned it!  Only me!!

Fucked if I know!!  :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • arpie
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for that @Joannie  

So why would they need special mention - either they've been also on AIs (and don't qualify - or perhaps DO) or they haven't been on AIs (and still qualify - or perhaps NOT!)  - so still REALLY muddying the water!!   :(  

It Still doesn't make sense to me!!  :(    I must be really thick!  :( 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Document......See page 1 for link

Re grandfather patients are those have been on kisquali prior to PBS listing ..they have been paying $$$ 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • arpie
    Options
    hahaha Still clear as mud!  :(  Other than BCNA is trying their best
     to pass on information that is already flawed!   :(  

Yep - as @Joannie says - ask your Onc & get the 'real deal' from them.xxx

This discussion has been closed.