Article relating to the State of the Nation report

Options
lrb_03
lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
Hi, all, @Giovanna_BCNA, @Marianne_BCNA, @Sophie_BCNA
This is a copy of the newspaper article after my interview yesterday. 
I said when my lymphoedema waa s diagnosed that I would endeavour to advocate for more awareness of the condition, hence volunteering for the interview. It was certainly an experience, having the photos taken on a freezing Canberra afternoon, andthena phone interview. I wasn't sure what to expect,  but I think it's ok??

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/act/gaps-in-breast-cancer-care-leaving-women-behind-report-20180619-p4zmfo.html

But really, do we ever like photos of ourselves? It's awful, lol

Also a big shout out to Kirsten Pilatti and her team for all the work put in to the report, all the travel for the forums, where so many of us had opportunity to meet her. Reading the report is high on my list of priorities. 

However, for now, I'm off to the Cartier exhibition 
:)

Lyn 

Comments

• Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Options
    Well done Lyn! Great article and great photo. thank you so much for doing this for us. Enjoy the Cartier exhibition :)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,579
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Good on you Lyn.  I hope you are in control of your lymphedema and that it doesn't inconvenience you too much!  :(   I was lucky & only had the 3 nodes removed.

Like you, I've been a bit shocked about out of pocket expenses, even tho my surgery & followup has not been extensive (breast conserving surgery, radiation & now medication.)  It's up to $6,000 so far.

The more it is 'out there' in the media, the more informed women will be - to ask questions first (even tho, in my case I was in total shock as, like you, there's not been one case of cancer in my family - ours has mainly been heart attacks!)

All the best @lrb_03
     xx
  • Sophie_BCNA
    Sophie_BCNA Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Fantastic Lyn! @lrb_03 Thank you so much for being willing to be interviewed. And don't worry - EVERYONE (or nearly everyone) hates having their photo taken. I certainly do, and my brother and sister and I all have to bribe our mother to be in family photos.  ;) 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello Lyn,
    Great article well done!
  • lrb_03
    Options
    Thanks everyone,  for your kind comments. It was totally worth doing. I would be happy to be contacted again regarding isues around lymphoedema. 
    @Joannie, I thoroughly enjoyed the exhibition, but boy, those rich people have some serious money!!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Well done. I am lucky in that Hervey Bay, qld has a cancer care building and I can see a physiotherapist for free atm for my lympheodema. Not sure what will happen when I get to the 5 years cancer free and will go off hormone treatment. Perhaps I will have to pay for one after that? 
  • lrb_03
    Options
    Thanks @Brenda5. So, do the physio's there do lymphatic massage? The public clinic here wrap, teach wrapping, teach self massage and do low level laser therapy,  but don't have capacity to do any lymphatic massage
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Since the lymphatic massage needs to be done daily, they teach you to do it yourself.