Trikki2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Thanks @lrb_03. Will check it out xx
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    edited July 2018
    Options

@Zoffiel said:

I wish my doctor would let me have 2 valium a night @PatsyN ,that would be awesome. Unfortunately, she's a bit parsimonious with those sorts of drugs, so I have to make a bottle of 20 last three months. 

@PatsyN says back:-
    You tell your doctor valium is the least damaging to the liver and kidneys. In the past it was a much over-prescribed drug for depression which it is not suited for and therefore was abused in the wrong hands.
    I have always used it as a muscle relaxant intermittently and never during the day cause it makes me feel sleepy.
    My acupuncturist thinks it's way better than the other prescriptive alternatives. Luckily, my GP feels the same way.

With depression there is no feeling of wanting to get treatment. It's the hardest of all mental illnesses to deal with because they've stopped caring about everything. It seems to me that there is too much passion on this site for too many depressed people.

Anxiety and stress due to waiting times for test results is the worst and it doesn't have to take that long. Most tests can be delivered in a quarter of the time they currently are but the system of delivery is too slow!

(I know this looks a bit wrong but hey, it's gettin late and I've taken the valium, nah nah ne nah nah)

• kmcin28
    kmcin28 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi all, just a question. Today I have been prescribed Fluoxetine and valium for depression after a melt down a couple of weeks ago, I am still having Hercepton every 3 weeks and also Femara AI. Dr and Pharmacist okayed it but these days I'm paranoid about everything. Has anyone else taken this combination and if so how did you go? 
  • Michele B
    Michele B Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Hi all, have just been prescribed Lexapro by my oncologist after battling anxiety and some really low moods. I've been on Tamoxifen for 3.5 years and apart from awful fatigue have coped ok. How has everyone else coped with lexapro? Thanks x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi @Michele_B. Anxiety and low moods here too.I can't answer your question spevifically but I do know my excellent GP rates it highly. She was going to put me on Lexapro, but I had to go on Pristiq as Lexapro and my AI (Letrozole) don't play well together. Hope you feel better soon as the meds kick in. K xox
  • Michele B
    Michele B Member Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks  kmakm, I was travelling along okay for quite a while but last few months it has all caught up with me.
    Thanks for your support, I'm hoping they lift my mood with minimal side effects. 
    Take care, hope you are feeling much brighter before too long as well.
    Michele x
  • kmakm
    Options
    Thanks sweets. I'll get there one day.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @kmcin28 Fluoxetine is an antidepressant which has been around for a number of years which helps with depression around week 4 to 6 and also with anxiety around week 6 to 8.

The diazepam aka valium works by reducing symptons of anxiety. Its a fabulous medication for short term use but not great for long term use as people do build a tolerance and start to require more of it. 

Both medications should be taken under close Dr contact and especially if stopping as both are better being reduced slowly. 

Diazepam if taken very regularly every day (and I mean throughout the day also) does result in dependence if that continues for a number of weeks. The sympyoms of that is rebound anxiety symptoms, sweating and shakes. But if you do follow your Drs guidelines and start / stop with their input you shouldn't  have issues.

I think you should rebook an appointment with your Dr about  the class of antidepressant he/she  has chosen.  Fluoxetine is classed as a SSRI medication and is not now recommended as the best choice for women who have had breast cancer on tamoxifen in particular. I'm unsure if its the same for an AI.  You might be best seeking confirmation with your oncologist about this or breast care nurse. I'm sure you could just ask this question with a phone call and they check it out for you. Kath x.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,603
    Options
    It is Very Important as @Zoffiel  says - about getting an audit on your medications, in case some actually contraindicate/have adverse affects to your BC meds!  My niece is a Pharmacist - and whilst most that she audits are the elderly who change Drs when moving from home to an Aged Care facility & change of Drs  .... our day to day drugs (including over the counter stuff) MAY seriously affect our health whilst going thru BC treatment.  

So far, I've been lucky & I haven't needed tabs - and I hope that continues.  Sadly, my uke friend with Met BC does now takes valium - as a result of her grandson's tragic death a few weeks ago.  

If you have ANY anxiety/sleep issues or become deeply unhappy - PLEASE get professional advice - and don't just take what is in your cupboard.  xx
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    @primek - I take 2 valium every night and have since I was on chemo. I find it relaxes my muscles and I never need to take more than 2. I have never slept better since I started taking valium and expect to be taking it for the rest of my life. (or that is my plan) I'm not at all depressed, but suffer from stress and anxiety at inconvenient times.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @PatsyN that's good it works for you. As I said it is a wonderful short term drug but it  has risks. 

I work in the area of mental health and drug and alcohol  (and previously  on hospital wards and gaols) and have had to assist many a person over the years withdraw from valium. This is more of an issue if taken throughout the day, as I said. People don't intend to develop a dependence but they do. I'm not talking about addiction, that is very different.

Valium works like alcohol and suppresses the central nervous system hense how it works making you feel relaxed.  When stopped the anxiety symptoms kick back in quickly. As I said if following the Drs quidelines and taking as prescribed it shouldn't be an issue. Although Patsy having said that you would find now without at night you might struggle not having them as dependence  occurs if on longer than 2 weeks. So if wanting to stop taking them you would need to drop them gradually so you don't develop symptoms, but you would do this with the help of your GP as a long reduction time would probably be needed.  There are actually specific guidelines in reducing valium to avoid the feeling  of  anxiety suddenly returning and the people I have cared for have found it quite unpleasant when it was stopped suddenly by a GP.

There are other medications that will help the feeling of anxiety. They don't have the immediate effect valium does  but they do assist in reducing symptoms. Beta blockers also stop symptoms such as racing heart etc and dont have dependence risks. 

These issues are all best  to talk over with your GP and often a referral to a psychiatrist who specializes in appropriate medication may offer an alternative and provide additional advice to your GP. Part of that would probably include learning relaxation techniques also as an alternative or in conjunction with medication.

Here are the new guidelines which is why your GP has reservations about continuing the medication long term.

https://www.nps.org.au/news/managing-benzodiazepine-dependence-in-primary-care

• kmakm
    Options
    Interesting link
  • kmakm
    Options
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Options
    Thanks @kmakm I was on Lexapro and it was fantastic but made me super sweaty so I will ask about desvenlafaxine - sounds promising.