Antidepressants

Options
Trikki2
Trikki2 Member Posts: 297
Hey there 
I have been taking paxtine for for anxiety for some time now..i have been on 1 tablet for 2 weeks now after taking 2. This interacts with Tamoxifen so I have to come off it. Does anyone take antidepressants and know what ones dont interact? I am in discussion of other meds with my Dr, but wondered from personal experience xxx
Trikki2 

Comments

• PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @Trikki2 I take valium with Arimidex, not as an anti-depressant but as a muscle relaxant.
    I have 2 every night and sleep like a baby, always.

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I'm on Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) which is sometimes also prescribed for hot flushes.  I take Letrozole but a quick Google indicates Pristiq has minimal interference with Tamoxifen.
  • Trikki2
    Options
    I would love to sleep like a baby at the moment.. @PatsyN
    @kmakm there are so many interactions..
    Xx
  • kmakm
    Options
    With Pristiq? I read half a dozen links and they all said it was OK. Best check with your oncologist! K xox
  • PatsyN
    Options
    @Trikki2 - I've been an insomniac ALL my life until getting breast cancer and starting the valium. It is the one positive thing that's come out of all of this... 
  • Trikki2
    Options
    Wow really. Well that's good to know should I need it xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PatsyN
    Options
    I know that saying too.

Slept like a baby
    Woke every two hours and cried
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I've tried many antidepressants, I've found they generally don't agree with me--the SSRI drugs make my throat swell and the others, while useful when Im likely to top myself, bring those own brands of misery so I don't stay with them.

I wish my doctor would let me have 2 valium a night @PatsyN ,that would be awesome. Unfortunately, she's a bit parsimonious with those sorts of drugs, so I have to make a bottle of 20 last three months. 

There are three drugs I take every day, and another two I take intermittently. Whenever anything new gets added to the mix I get the senior pharmacist at one of the local chemists to review the soup. While I usually trust my GP, it doesn't hurt to have an expert eye have a look at these things. It's surprising what gets picked up, or overlooked,

I have never been told that there are critical contraindications when I've been taking antidepressants, but the key word is 'critical' . It appears there is nearly always some sort of issue with pretty much everything. My pain meds can elevate my blood pressure because they muddle with the Candesartan. On and on it goes. Sometimes you just have to figure out what is the thing that most needs fixing, and go with that.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Effexor is pretty much the safest on Tamoxifen.
  • kmakm
    Options
    Pristiq is the next generation of Effexor. My GP described it as a more 'refined' version.

This is the first time I've ever taken an anti-depressant. Initially my GP wanted to put me on Lexapro but the onc at that stage was thinking of giving me Tamoxifen. Lexapro and Tamoxifen don't mix so Pristiq was chosen. As it turns out, Letrozole was the one I went on and there's no contra-indications there either.
  • Stork
    Stork Member Posts: 121
    Options
    I am taking Tamoxifen I asked a chemist if St John s Wort can be taken at the same time the answer was yes, I asked my GP and was told no, I did my own research on several reputable sites they all advised no. It makes it hard when medical professionals contradict each other’s advise. Therefore who do you trust?
  • Trikki2
    Options
    Yes lots of  contradictions..its really tricky.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Have you checked this site?
    https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs/search

This comes highly recommended as a go to for complementary medicine,  herbs etc with cancer treatment
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    Options
    I take Effexor, 75mg per day. No side effects and managed the psychosis I got on Tamoxifen really well.