Chemo still sucks on taxol

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I do try to do things but I'm increasingly finding that they come back to bitee on the bum. So, just counting down to the end of it, now and hoping like Hell that I never have to do this again.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Amen sista!
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Oh dear - I was really hoping the taxol would be easier than the AC! Ah well - I won’t have any preconceptions - we’re all different! And it too shall end! 
  • Sister
    Options
    It's not as completely dreadful but not good and seems to go on forever without a break.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My comment to the oncologist was it's not better just different. The whole weekly thing got me really down. I got increasingly exhausted and had terrible body aches. My balance was affected and I was band from garden stuff after falling over in the  wood pile and had no strength to get up...my legs got really weak. I had a numbet of embarrassing /upsetting episodes if being stuck on tje ground and realising I couldn't get out of a squat. Sigh. But halfway there. ..you got this. X 
  • Sister
    Options
    @primek I hope I don't get to that but I can believe it.  The first couple of weeks, I started off quite well but it's building up on me, both physically and emotionally.  But the onc says it's really important that I try to get through as much of the course as I possibly can so I'll just continue my countdown...
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    @Sister - you might not realise it but you’re such an inspiration to those of us that are following on the path behind you. While on the one hand I’m wishing I was where you are now, with the end (sort of) in sight, reading about how you’re persevering despite the difficulties, lets me know that I’ll be able to do it too. Thank you! Xxx
  • Sister
    Options
    Thanks @Eastmum And I look to those who have already gone through it and try to see the light at the end!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    I agree with @Primek it was different not better! and I remember by about the 5th infusion I lost the 2 days of feeling normal. I was in a world of pain from then on, I too had some episodes where I was so broken in the end I couldnt even get to my letterbox. I remember wanting to stop and give up and to be honest I didnt care from that place I was in. BUT...this is what I know...it is so incredibly healthy to acknowledge how bad it is and not for everyone, but for those who suffer badly. To know without a doubt you do get through and the only way I did in the end was a day at a time. 

I'm now 2.5yrs post Taxol and wanted to say so you know absolutely you will recover. Its been a long recovery for me but I am now back at work full time because I dont have a choice. It is tough I admit, but I now exercise a little and am active and I never thought I would be anywhere near this again. I do have lasting side effects and it is hard, so on a bad day I take panadol osteo. Ive never had pain killers through treatment or surgeries as am drug sensitive, it was cruel! 

Be super kind, one day at a time and you really will amaze yourself. Unfortunately everyone expects your last chemo is a celebration...and the end to it all. They dont realise the long recovery back, they just want you back to normal and understandable, but its not that simple. 

Hugs @sister and @Eastmum and anyone else going through it, there is no being strong or weak in any of it only who we are and thats valid! xx Melinda
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    My mum keeps telling me how well she kept going through chemo (1986), how quickly she recovered and how few problems she had. It's driving me potty. She asks me how I am, I answer (pretty generically now) and then I get ten minutes on how she just got on with it, and how she breezed through recovery. It makes me feel unacknowledged, inadequate and a failure. Bizarre how mums can still get to us, no matter how old we are!
  • melclarity
    Options
    Yes my Dad kept telling me a friend of his breezed through too and couldnt understand how sick i was. Frustrating it made me feel worthless. So i acknowledge everyone some are lucky but most are not due to how our genetics are not because we're weak! 
  • Janny54
    Janny54 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Hang in there at @Sister. I was told the same its easier they said. Um no it ain't its  just differant.

A close friend of mine only last night said how I breezed through it all. Might of seemed like that but they weren't there at 2 in the morning when I was up making cups of tea and struggling to get out of bed and walk first thing in the morning. 

Keep your chin up ladies.

Xxx
  • Sister
    Options
    It's probably the same as "you look really great" - how is that possible when I feel like shit.
  • sickgirl
    sickgirl Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Paclitaxel is rough I finished last November and there was no way I could go to work through the 2nd half of it and didn’t go back to part time work till April this year (I had 5 weeks of radiation over Xmas/new year). I’m still part time after 3 months and still get so tired. Still having herceptin until end of August and AI hormone therapy which gives worst joint pain. Neuropathy still in feet and hands just hoping it goes away eventually.
  • melclarity
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @sickgirl I see this to be more the normal than not through this treatment. I'm 2.5 years post but honestly?? Im alot better and have come a very long way, I had to learn to walk again it was that bad. I worked with an Exercise Physiologist which came through my income protection and for 2yrs I worked reduced days of 3. Only this year Ive gone back full time but to be honest its damn hard physically and I dont know how long I will maintain it. So Im working really hard now to shift a few kilos to help with fitness. I still cant walk more than 40mins without severe pain in my feet and toes. I also suffer cramping throughout my body randomly and constantly due to chemo shrinking the sheath over the muscles. Stretching exercises absolutely help but like my EP said I will never be the same or pain free. So to me its been about getting back to a life that I can be quite happy with and I think Ive done that...with a lot of compromise. 

Theres so much the Oncologists dont really tell you about treatment, mine doesnt really want to know about residual effects years later because there job is to prescribe it to make you better. For me its the million dollar question having had a recurrence once. 

Slow and steady honestly, and really I found I had to not beat myself up that I couldnt do anything about the side effects or inability to work eventhough I had 2 children to support. It was hard so very hard, financially Im ruined. Be Kind to yourselves everyone....xo M