First Oncology appointment - what to expect/ask?

Options
124»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    All the best for the results from the Biopsies ...... fingers crossed for the best results, @RR   xxx

• tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Far out @RR hope those biopsies didn't hurt as much as mine !!! 
    Here's hoping for good results as soon as possible
    good luck xx

• RR
    RR Member Posts: 67
    Options
    @tigerbeth - I have had eight now, and they aren't pleasant are they!
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    @RR wow ! 8 that's crappy for you !! Mine was initially worse than the WLE I had , the bruising was horrible & the pain just awful ! 
    Hope they get to the bottom of it for you without any more 
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi there @RR how are you doing? What’s happening with your treatment? 

Xxxxx
  • RR
    Options
    Hi @Eastmum - I had my first AC on Wednesday. My treatment has started and I am just trying to figure out what is going on day-by-day :smile: I have a good 15 months ahead of me ....
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @RR And how are you feeling now that it's under way?
  • RR
    Options
    It is just the unknown - each day is different, you really don't know what to expect with this treatment.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi @maggiew. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you find yourself here, but I hope you find it as warm and supportive as I have.

You are right, it easier to make decisions with as much knowledge as you're comfortable with. We are our best advocates.

It's hard to know what recovery time you'll require as we are all so different in our responses to treatment. Some can work all the way through chemo, some are back to work very soon after surgery.  I'm afraid that it will fall into the category of wait and see.

Oh goodness me, the well meaning advice you get will drive you crazy! Just yesterday I had someone urging me to take a particular vitamin supplement, and oi, the number of people who'll tell you to go vegan... I had a check out chick earnestly tell me that I'd be fine if I was positive. Gargh! My experience has told me the best place for advice (non-medical) is right here. This forum is the most sensational hive mind!

If you'd like to, tell us a bit about yourself and size and type of BC you have.

Hang in there, and hang around here. We're with you all the way. Big hug, K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Welcome @maggiew Good luck for you appointment on Tuesday.  Have you got someone to go with you?  It's always good to have another pair of ears.  I don't know if you are going private or public, or what your financial situation is, but don't feel that you can't discuss this with your surgeon so he/she knows how to plan your treatment.  It's one of the last things you may be thinking about now but later on, it could be the shock you can't deal with.  I do have private cover and went privately for chemo but went public for rads (and as far as I can tell, got the same level of service) as health insurance doesn't cover the gap and it can run into thousands of dollars.  My surgeon knew up-front that money was a big concern.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,600
    Options
    Sorry to see you here @maggiew  - but you've come to the right place for support & backup.    The waiting between appointments can be 'the pits' - so try & keep busy doing the stuff you love to help pass the time.

Yep, having someone with you at your appointments will help big time - my sister in law came with me & she was terrific, asking questions on my behalf that I hadn't even thought of! .... or even recording it on your phone as well, to listen to again afterwards.

Where abouts are you based (major city or are you rural?)  Some others who live nearby may be able to connect you with services that are available to that area, to assist you.

All the best with your appointment on Tues - we'll be thinking of you.  xx

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,377
    Options
    It can be useful to get information in writing, so you can read it at your leisure - taking things on at a medical appointment, when you are understandably anxious, can be hard. Many practitioners can provide sheets of info on treatments including different chemotherapies. Best wishes
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hell @magggiew I have started a new discussion with your post so others will also see the post and respond.