Fantastic news announced tonight in the budget

Options
2»

Comments

• traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Great news for women, but bad news for men, since we've been excluded from getting this drug on the PBS.

BCNA, please advocate on our behalf on this matter.

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    How come traveltext?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Giovanna_BCNA or @Marianne_BCNA can we seek some clarity here as @traveltext has put up a comment that has surprised me
  • traveltext
    Options
    Don't know, but I've alerted Kathy Wells at BCNA.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Options
    Hello @SoldierCrab
    Im looking into this now, will have a response soon.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    @traveltext   That is Totally not fair if it doesn't cover men as well as women!!  Good luck with the research, @Giovanna_BCNA

Fingers crossed for a positive outcome!  It is bloody ridiculous - if it works for one & is 'covered' - it should be covered for one & all!  When my husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer in 2010, the chemo regime he was recommended was covered on PBS if you had bowel cancer (and some others) but not stomach cancer!  It was going to cost thousands ...... I had won a $2500 brand new kayak that I sold to help fund his treatment .....

Then - on the day he started, it was put on the PBS!!  (Thank GOD!)
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    'Scuse my language but that sounds like a steaming pile of sexist horseshit! Outrageous.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wildplaces
    Wildplaces Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2018
    Options

Traveltext - this is the PBAC recom on CDKs - it clearly states patients - so the question is did the initial submissions on,y include women or did the Minister for Health decided to limit it to women - provided you are correct, but I know you are pretty solids in your posts - so once again I am speechless. 

I already pointed out there is little fantastic about NOT getting Palbociclib - lots of data on it and no cardiac issues that have been reported. Money makes the world go round. Aghhhh

Keep pushing everyone
  • traveltext
    Options
    As a check, I posted here and was informed that men were not included. That's great to see the word "patients" there, so thanks for posting that Wildplaces. Bit, BCNA are looking into this again.
  • Marianne_BCNA
    Marianne_BCNA Member Posts: 245
    Options

Hi all, 

Thanks for posting about this one. Unfortunately the
    PBS listing for ribociclib is for women only. The reason for this is because
    there is not enough evidence that ribociclib is an effective treatment for men.
    The first line trials for ribociclib only recruited women.

Trials in later lines did include men. As the evidence
    emerges around benefit for men with breast cancer we will keep our membership
    updated and continue to advocate for new drugs to treat breast cancer to be
    available on the PBS.

In the meantime, the best advice is to speak with your
    medical oncologist about options for accessing the drug through compassionate
    access schemes or clinical trials.

• traveltext
    Options
    Thanks Marianne. Virtually no BC drugs have been trialled on men and so they are the same drugs that men are prescribed to hold off this disease. Ribociclib, a first-line treatment of HR+/HER2− advanced breast cancer (the type nearly all men have) is a game changer, and it's a pity men will have to go begging for compassionate access.

So, this really is not fantastic news for men.
  • Wildplaces
    Options
    This is not hard.

One of three things happened:

1. The Pfizer/Novartis submission was specific for women only.

2 PBAC recommended it for women only and was specific in that recommendation.

3. The health ministry stipulated PBS use in women only.

It would be nice to know where did that start. It is true that if we are following the States - Their FDA approval specifies women only.

The problem with BC in men is the numbers are not there for big studies/big Pharma - it being rarer means that men are diagnosed late, have fewer options and are more likely to die from BC.

• Wildplaces
    Options
    Traveltext 
    All I want to do is bang my head against a wall - but I think I will follow Mel's lead in another thread, I will have chocolate and yoghurt and then get on my threadmill.

I mean really - what are oncologists supposed to say to their male patients - "ahhh mate if you only were a lass (or you don't need your super) I might have a solution for you that does not involve chemo, but look on the bright side at least you will not have repeated ECGs looking for a long QT interval".

Really - I mean really?? - this is Australia - Just over 20 million in one of the most fortunate lands on earth and we struggle to get the latest treatments for our sick?

I have said and I will repeated - my frustration with what is fast becoming a two tier treament process - takes nothing away from BCNA efforts to brings these treatments to all BC patients.

• traveltext
    Options
    Efficacy on men was trialled in the US and a report presented to SABCS last year:
    • Ribociclib in combination with everolimus and exemestane in men and postmenopausal women with HR+/HER2- advanced breast cancer following progression on a CDK4/6 inhibitor: Efficacy and updated safety and pharmacokinetic results from phase 1 of the TRINITI-1 study [Abstract #PD5-11; Thursday, December 7, 5:00 - 7:00 PM CST]
    Reference: https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/11/14/1185552/0/en/Novartis-presents-new-data-at-SABCS-across-broad-range-of-breast-cancer-patient-populations-combination-treatments-and-lines-of-therapy.html

There appear to have been studies in Australia, so what are the results that led to men being excluded?