Just diagnosed

Harvey1903
Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
edited May 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi just found this site - and have been reading everyones experiences for the last hour!   I was diagnosed yesterday, and am still coming to terms with all of this.  Had to cancel our holidays, and I guess I won't be playing golf for a bit.  I'll keep reading everyones journeys and hopefully get some idea of whats ahead.   Cheers
Tagged:

Comments

• kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hey @Harvey1903,

Sux to be here lovely, but welcome.  The start is the worst bit I think until you know exactly what you're dealing with. So many thoughts running through your mind, so much confusion/ This forum holds a wealth of experience, warmth and encouragement.  So voice your concerns and fears whenever you like, everyone is only to happy to help.  We all get it.

xoxoxo
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Hi @Harvey1903,  sorry to see you here but so glad you have found us.  All the information coming at you in the early days can be overwhelming, words we have never heard of and didn’t want to!  I found it really helpful to keep a notebook and jot down questions between appointments - no such thing as a silly question!  I know you feel like you have no control at the moment and I hated that.  Believe it or not, you will feel better once you have some definite results and a treatment plan.  You’ve got this!  You are never alone - you will always find someone here with support, information and a laugh (yes, really!!! :)
    We have all been where you are and completely get how you are feeling.  Sending a hug, Jane xx
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Hey @Harvey1903 ,sorry to see you here but you're amongst loving helpful friends !
    Such a shock for all of us i'm sure ,many emotions are unleashed throughout this trying time.
    I had a lump removed last Thursday , pain subsided now just a bit tender at the moment ,so glad that bit is over ,like you I will be having radiation down the track .Going into the unknown!

All the best , one day at a time & breathe !!
    Hugs xx

• Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    @Harvey1903 Sorry you have had to join us but you couldn't have found more supporting, loving women than those on this forum. You have a road ahead & I can remember how i felt on day 1 which was Dec last year. I have had a good outcome & my path has been so much easier than a lot of others. My advice is to stay positive & strong & only focus on what you know & not what MAY happen to you. Goal posts constantly change & it's no use worrying about a type of surgery or treatment that may never happen to you. Take notes at each appt & ask questions. there is a lot of info on the BCNA website & get yourself a copy of the "My Journey Kit" which is available free on the BCNA site. I'm sure your GP has recommended a surgeon to you & make sure you get yourself a Breast care nurse. She will be your best friend & they are invaluable with their support & advice. You can look up the nearest McGrath Nurse on their website. There is a lot to take in but take it slow & you will learn quickly. Look after yourself & try to stay fit, eat well & get plenty of time for yourself to relax & take it all in. We are here for you & let us know how you get on. Lots of hugs & I promise that you WILL get back to playing golf!! xxxx 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hi and welcome. There will be many questions pop up so ask away. 

Have you ordered a My journey kit? A great resource and useful tool.

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/my-journey-kit/

• Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    @Harvey1903 deep breaths , it's such a shock isn't it . I myself have just cancelled a flight today.  I was supposed to be flying to the UK on the 22nd May but I'll be in the midst of chemotherapy instead.  
    This is such a lovely place to hang out in what is such unwanted and difficult circumstances so jump on board and ask anything.  Everyone is lovely and helpful.  Take care xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Welcome to the group @Harvey1903 You will find support, info and a few laughs on here - don't be backward about asking what you want to know.
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Hi @Harvey1903 - you're found such a wonderful place for support and advice. I was diagnosed in January with invasive lobular carcinoma in both breasts. I had a double mastectomy just over four weeks ago and have already been back at work for two weeks! Between January and April I researched my butt off, and this forum was absolutely invaluable! So many generous 'warrior' women who are happy to share their stories and experiences - warts and all. I'm absolutely sure that the information I was able to put together from the many women on these @BCNAdiscussion boards contributed enormously to my relatively easy recovery and the feeling of control that I had when I went into surgery - and that I will have when I start treatment. Don't hesitate to ask anything at all. Wishing you all the very best going forward!
    xx
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Sorry to have to join us but this place is the best for advice - it has been invaluable to m since my diagnosis in January. Navigating all the treatments and lingo can be very confusing at the start especially when I r processing the shock of a diagnosis xoxox
  • Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Thanks for the positive comments.  I have ordered the My Journey kit, and waiting for my bra to arrive ;)
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @Harvey1903
    for the next steps and always
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi Harvey1903. How are you doing this weekend? I hope you're doing what you need to, be it hanging with friends, cuddling on the couch, or out on the town. If you'd like to, tell us a little about yourself and your diagnosis. Hope you're OK. K xox
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Funny you were talking about golf @Harvey1903... I was driving past a local golf course with my husband yesterday and said that we should get the family out on the course - I don't think bc will have affected the quality of my play as it has always been abysmal.  What I'm trying to say though, is that you will be back doing the things you love before you know it.  Surgery 21/12 and 8/1) and recovery from it took most of summer away from me which frustrated and depressed me a lot but I was back in the water at the all clear, kayaking gently by Easter, and paddleboarding 2 weeks ago.  Things will get better when you know what your treatment plan is - just take it a step at a time.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Welcome to the forum. Competition golf is probably out for a while but there is nothing to say you can't enjoy the walking between holes and fine tune that putting into being a dedly putter. <3
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited May 2018
    @Harvey1903
    lots of good advice and helpful information and support from the other ladies.... 

Below are a couple of links to help you find your
    way around the forum and also how to find a breast care nurse and how to order
    a MY journey Kit if you haven't got one yet. 

It can be a a whirlwind when we first get a
    diagnosed.... Breathe and take it one step at a time. 

Navigating the online community  http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/14879/navigating-the-online-community-formerly-the-what-and-how-thread#latest

Breast Care Nurses

https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx 

My Journey Kits and other
    resources. 

https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.