Just diagnosed

Options
2»

Comments

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    Glad you found us. I joined 6 years ago and still here.lol. its the greatest family yo chat with for advice or just to unload.we all have lots of stories.good days bad days better days you get there. Adean xx
  • Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Thanks again for your responses.  Played golf yesterday, will be the last time for a few weeks, and boy did I smash the little white ball.   Getting a little nervy about Thursday so will clean the house top to bottom to take my mind off it today.  Good advice Brenda, I'll definately practice putting.  Also have a canoe that hasn't been in the water a while, might do that tomorrow.   <3
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Harvey1903 There are some keen canoeists and kayakers here! I had no idea it was so popular  :)
  • chocolate70
    chocolate70 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Sorry to hear your news. But know your not alone. It’s overwhelming receiving a diagnosis. It takes time to sink in. Just take one day at a time and you will get through this. Talk to people who understand and have lived through your journey. Wishing you all the best with your treatment plan. 
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Hi there - had my cancer removed Thursday.  Now have a sore blue boob from the dye.  Two lymph nodes removed.  Will be back to oncologist next Friday for results.  I was told 16 rounds of radiation, but I suppose that may change with results.  Anyhow, all good at the moment.  Still reading up on others stories.  Hopefully things won't change.  Thanks for all positive comments.
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hang in there @Harvey1903 - wishing you all the best :) xxx
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    @Harvey1903 i'm 2 weeks ahead of you ! Wishing you all the best for your results.
    Rest up ,take it easy ! 
    xx
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Hi  yes @tigerbeth, I read your post.  i wondered where you went, I went to Peter Mac.  I have just been looking at the radiation posts and most of the posts say that you have to wait until the wound has healed?  4- 6 weeks?  I thought that I might be straight into it.  But maybe not.  What have you been told?  Or anyone else??  If so, I may take a little holiday lol..
  • tigerbeth
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hey @Harvey1903 ,I am going through Maroondah Breast clinic, yes I think its normal to wait a while before radiation starts . The radiation oncologist (actually works for Peter Mac) told me you can actually wait up to 6 months at the most .I'm sure it must be better for the wound to be healed properly 
    My surgery was on 26/4 and radiation starting 0n 12/6 ,I wanted to wait until after my sons wedding ,which she said was fine.
  • Harvey1903
    Options
    Oh --- that puts a completely different angle on things.  Thanks for that, although before I get ahead of myself I'll wait for the results.  We had a holiday booked to Caloundra for a family get together, and maybe able to get there after all.  All the best for the wedding.  Something to look forward to.  Stay in touch.
  • tigerbeth
    Options
    Yes you still may be able to keep your plans on track ! When I was diagnosed the surgeon actually said if we had a holiday planned , we could've gone as in my case it wasn't spreading rapidly . However I think most would want it removed asap . 
    Thanks looking forward to the wedding & trying to plan a holiday for October ,I love to travel !!
    Happy to answer any questions you may have xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Harvey1903 Yeah that blue boob is a pain. My pain subsided quite quickly, a couple of weeks, but the blue took about three months to go. My nipple still hadn't recovered normal sensation five months later when it disappeared in the mastectomy. Good luck with your results, let us know how you get on. K xox
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @Harvey1903 So glad to read that your surgery went well & fingers crossed for good results next week. try not to worry too much as you can't change the results...easier said than done! On 22nd Dec last year, I had a lumpectomy to remove my DCIS. I had clear margins so I only had to have 16 doses of rad as a precaution. As they wanted me to be gene tested before my rad started as this may effect what to do next but the result came back negative so it was full steam ahead with the rad plan. I had to wait for my wound to heal which did take a while so I didn't start my treatment til 21st Feb. I worried that it was getting too late but my rad onc said it would be fine. It sounds like many others have had a wait in between & you certainly need to have your wound healed. I do hope you get as good a result as me. I feel very blessed & so lucky to the point where I feel guilty that I have had such an easy road compared to so many others. I can't give advice on chemo or mastectomies but I can give lots of love, care, prayers & support to those who need it. Take care & let us know your results. Hugs, love & strength. xxxx