General discussion

Options

Comments

• LeaF
    LeaF Member Posts: 13
    Options

:) Hey K and Faery thankyou so much for thinking of me !!!  What a lovely thing to wake up to . the nipple bit hurt like a B@#$ch  and they did 3 cores there which is the main spot they are concerned about then I had another 2 cores at 9oclock what ever that means )that one apparently is not of huge concern) then they  did a fine line aspiration on a node? under my arm , the nurses and doctors were AMAZING !! I think I had 4 nurses at one stage and the doctor who was soooo gentle

and one nurse who held my hand the whole time with hubby just outside the room. I'm not sure if this sounds weird or not but I actually feel relieved that's is all over , I know the waiting is still there but it almost feels like the first step is done is that strange , trying to keep it all private atm as it is hard to as we own a small country pub and we haven't told any family yet until we find out what is exactly going on as they all live away from us (sorry rambling here but its good to talk )You guys are fantastic , Much Love xxxxx

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Not at all strange to feel relieved. It's always better once this train gets going. You're taking action rather than waiting, and it's action to hopefully get you healthy. And isn't it wonderful when you get kind and caring medical support?! It can make such a difference, and sadly not everyone does.

And yes, that nipple needle... Mine for the sentinel node biopsy was the single most physically painful thing I've experienced on this rollercoaster so far. Ouch!!

I kept the whole thing quiet for as long as possible. The only person who knew about my BreastScreen callback, the biopsy and the diagnosis day (12 days) was my husband. For the next eight days, covering the wide local excision and the re-excision, it was only the people in my house. Splitting the difference between the two operations was my son's 18th birthday party which we held at home. All the attention needed to be on him and I wanted everyone happy, not worried. We told my family and a few close friends after the second op but by then it was mid-December and so it wasn't until after Christmas that I went fully public so to speak.

Never apologise for the rambling here! We all get it. Rest up and do something nice for yourself this weekend. K xox
  • LeaF
    Options

<3 Thanks K x I was luckily enough to have amazing medical staff and yep not really ready to tell anyone at all yet but will one day xx

Busy Pub this weekend so that will keep my mind busy :)

• kmakm
    Options
    Excellent!
  • Faerygirl
    Faerygirl Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi LeaF, like k said...we understand one hundred percent! Been in your shoes darling. Just like you, I wanted to hold off from telling loved ones until I knew what the out come was. Then I realized that whilst my husband was there for me...who was his support team? Who did he have to talk to? It's a strange situation, not wanting anyone to know but family and friends can be an amazing wider support group. Also, for me personally, when they were informed a week or so later they were hurt that I hadn't told them before. Just giving you a little more insight LeaF... in the end my darling this is your journey.
    Take care and know my thoughts are with you. 
    Much love, Faerygirl XX
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @LeaF When you are ready to start letting people know, it can be a bit daunting.  One tactic (the one I used) is to tell a couple of trusted key friends and ask them to spread the word, explaining that it's because you don't want to be inundated with people wanting to help, ask how you're going, etc...  The last thing you need when you have that 5 minutes when you're not actually thinking of the cancer is to get a phone call from someone asking you about it.  I also have a blog where I post progress and ravings for my friends and colleagues.  That way, they know what's going on and they can comment on the blog or email me as they choose.
  • Faerygirl
    Faerygirl Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Sister you summed it up beautifully! 
  • LeaF
    Options
    So got my call back today good and bad news so staying extremely positive  ,have a milk duct spot that is positive  ? and nothing showed up in the lymph node ??? going to see a surgeon on Monday to see what the next step is no talk of chemo as yet just got to wait and see what happens then but all positive thoughts , still in total shock but feeling a lot better than last week :D am I making sense ? its all a bit of jargin to me at the moment but there pretty sure everything is treatable so here begins the journey <3
  • kmakm
    Options
    It sounds like you have no spread into your lymph nodes which is very good. Do you know if you have DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) or IDC (invasive ductal carcinoma)? The jargon is insane but you'll soon get the hang of it. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. It'll be even better when you have a treatment plan. Hang in there! K xox
  • LeaF
    Options
    um I really don't know :p I forgot to ask I think the first one ? trying to run a pub and doing all this the brain is stewed LOL
  • Leapfrog
    Leapfrog Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Can someone tell me how the Palbociclib Access Program works?  I'm asking out of interest for women who already have metastatic breast cancer and will be taking it for the rest of their life.  It doesn't affect me personally as I'm on a trial and receive Palbociclib free.  I'm curious about the eligibility.  I believe newly diagnosed women will pay $50 upfront and then receive all scripts for free after that.  Does this mean until the drug is listed on the PBS or for life?  If newly diagnosed women can receive it for $50 for life, why would those who are already diagnosed have to pay for each script when it is listed?  Or am I missing something?
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @LeaF I meant to post to you yesterday but ran out of time!! I have been following your journey on here & glad that you have successfully climbed a few hurdles already!! The one thing i learnt quickly is not to jump too far ahead as the goal posts can constantly change so only worry about what you DO know & not what you think may happen. I was all caught up with Lumpectomy v mastectomry v bi-lateral mastectomy v radiation v chemo??????? & in the end the few decisions that had to be made, were made very decisively by my surgeon who i trusted. Like you I had DCIS, it was stage 1 but invasive & no node involvement so I only had to have a lumpectomy & as my surgery had clear margins, I only had to have 16 doses of rad as a precaution but no chemo or hormone therapy so I got out of it very well. I also chose to have my ovaries & tubes removed 2 weeks ago from advice from my medical team due to family history. Also, like you, i come from a small country town where we all know each other. i chose not to tell many at all & the few I did, have not spread it around the town. I also told immediate family who lived in the city. I wanted to be able to walk up the street & do my shopping without getting looks from people too scared to talk to you or the opposite with being overloaded with people coming up to me bombarding me with questions even though they would all mean well. I only told my boss & 2 other close work colleagues that would have to cover me during my absence for surgery/treatment. Other work colleagues I just told them "family reasons" & they tend to leave it at that! I have told a couple of close friends that have been there for me throughout. One works in the local pharmacy & has been great getting supplies to me & the other lives in a nearby town. You do what is right for you but I am glad I chose to keep it quiet especially as i didn't have to have chemo which would have been hard to hide. I wish you well with your upcoming treatment & try not to focus on things that may not happen as you need all your strength to manage what you do have to deal with. At least you work in the right place to have a stiff drink when you need it!! Fingers crossed you will come out of it like me. I am all finished now with just followup appts to do to check on things. Stay positive & cross each hurdle as it comes & soon you will be over the other side. Hugs xx
  • LeaF
    Options
    Anne65 <3 that is exactly what I needed to hear this morning Thankyou :D of to the surgeon in about an hour xxxx
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Hi @LeaF. Hope your appointment went ok today, and that you're a bit closer to having a plan in place