Avoiding sick people

Nicole69
Nicole69 Member Posts: 5
edited April 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I am one week post chemo, radiation starts in two weeks. Our family Easter gathering is today but I’ve just found out my nephew is going to be there and he is recovering from the flu. Should I stay away?

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there. Yes there is the need to be extra cautious coming into flu season. But in saying that you can go to woolies to get milk and still be at risk of picking something up I certainly didn’t stop living because of chemo.

If we needed stuff from the supermarket or shops I’d still go I’d just take my hand sanitizer with me and you could do the same. I would of gone insane If I didn’t get out at all. I stopped working during treatment as I was working as a nurse in a gp clinic and I had chemo during peak flu season so wanted to avoid that but There may be others there today from your family who don’t have the flu yet but dont have symptoms yet too either.

Common sense is all that is needed. Your immune system does take a battering that’s for sure and I’d avoid hospitals and try and isolate yourself at the drs for example and avoid anyone with symptoms of any kind if you can but In general wash your hands and ask those in your family to take precautions too. Both my son and hubby got crook while I was having chemo and I didn’t catch it. Just used extra precautions. Hand washing, glen 20 cleaning door knobs and toilets and it was fine. Enjoy your Easter with your family just don’t be too touchy feely with your nephew and his family. Congrats on finishing chemo too love xx

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Maybe just check if he has actually had influenza or cold/cough. Agree that normal common sense provisions should be sufficient in either case -  kissing and hugging out for the duration. If he is a very small nephew, I am sure his parents will understand as you may need to keep a bit clear from them too - children love to share! 
  • Jen001
    Jen001 Member Posts: 31
    You have probably already made your decision, but just out of interest, I teach in a secondary school and I'm also the Librarian, all through my chemo and radiation I had students and teachers sneezing and coughing around me .  Surprisingly I never caught anything and the only thing I did was constantly wash my hands and used hand sanitize.   
  • Nicole69
    Nicole69 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you all for your quick responses. I am going. Great advice here as always!,
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Excellent. Six other people in my home all had colds during my chemo and I never got sick. They kept clear of me while they were unwell and it worked. Enjoy your day!
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hey @Nicole69,

Agree about checking whether it is proper flu.  I never got sick either through or after chemo and I work in a hospital!  Hand washing is always big there anyway, I just added in a bit of extra hand sanitizing for good luck.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @Jen001 I always credited my library job for my (previously) robust immune system. What is the first thing people do when they are sick? Borrow a book and sit on the loo sneezing while they read it. Then return it covered in snot.
    Seriously though @Nicole69 it's not the people who you know are sick that are the problem. Many diseases are at their most contagious just before, or at the same time, as the first symptoms appear. Someone who is getting over a cold or flue is less risk to you than someone who has the first signs of the lurgy.
    Common sense should prevail though, if one family member has been ill, it's likely another is about to be. Wash your hands and don't let any of them lick your face. Mxx