Hi, newbie here

Options

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I went back to Breastscreen to get the results of the core biopsy which indicated invasive lobular cancer, got straight into my GP that afternoon who booked me into see the surgeon the next day.  Luckily we hadn't cancelled our health cover so I was able to go private but even so, the surgeon didn't charge me a gap due to financial concerns (the hospital was a different matter).  From there it was CT scans to check whether there was any spread, then a date for surgery for a partial and sentinel node biopsy.  Unfortunately for me, although all tests had said that the cancer was only 2.5cm with no nodes involved, the surgery and subsequent biopsy showed otherwise.  It was 4.5cm, no clear margins and with 3 nodes involved - ILC is a very sneaky beast.  That meant a second op for mastectomy and axillary dissection but there was nothing further to find.  It is only after the tumour and sentinel nodes are taken that they can really give you a clear path report of the cancer which will determine your recommended further treatments. 
  • SallyS
    SallyS Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Just got a call, they need more time to do more tests so changed my appt from tomorrow (wed) to next Monday
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Oh how infuriating!
  • SallyS
    Options
    Yes not what I wanted to hear after already waiting 6 days and now I have another 5 :( 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I had to wait 10 working days @SallyS. But I had a public surgeon appointment 5 days later and this was over NY and surgery for mastectomy and reconstruction was 20 days later after full workup in between...pre op appt etc. 
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi @SallyS I definitely can’t add more than the info the ladies above have already given. I’m new here since January and can definitely recommend this forum for absolutely any questions you have. There are some incredible and generous women on here. Good luck for everything! 
  • Sister
    Options
    My cousin was diagnosed in late January (after getting the recall in December but having to wait over Christmas/New Year for an appointment).  She is in the public system and has been waiting all this time for surgery which was supposed to be last week.  Apparently, the dye was injected into the wrong place so she's now rescheduled for 3 weeks later.  I would be beside myself.
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    and that means your cousin will be having the die injection again. I imagine she is beside herself. 
  • Sister
    Options
    That'd be right.  I don't know how she's managing - I did suggest this group but she didn't want to join so hoping she may change her mind.  Maybe she is like me in the beginning and stalking secretly.
  • SallyS
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I know the difference between a lumpectomy and a mastectomy but what is the difference between them as far as why they do one or the other? Is it because the cancer is bigger or spread more? 
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Sister OMG she must be beside herself with stress and worry! My heart goes out to her. I got caught in the Christmas delays and absences, but nothing as bad as that. For me that injection is the single most painful thing in this whole event thus far.

If you're lurking Sister's cousin, come on in!

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    wow Mine was injected once they put me out to it.....
  • kmakm
    Options
    @SoldierCrab Wish I'd had that option...
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Wish I'd had that option also @SoldierCrab ..... and if you are lurking @Sister cousin I feel for you on this one. I unfortunately read up on the procedure on one of the American websites the week before the procedure . It put the fear of God into me. Never again will I Dr Google unless it's BCNA or UK equivalent. 
    @kmakm I thought I was the only poor sod that had the injections the day before. Wonder if we share the same surgeon.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @SallyS,

Whether you are able to have a lumpectomy will depend on the size of the lesion/s vs the size of the breast.  Sometimes its just not an option. Some women  choose the mastectomy instead anyway which sometimes avoids the need for radiation and they are more comfortable with that decision.   I chose lumpectomy as I was given a choice.  19mm tumour vs 14D breast.  I did have to go back for a second surgery as some of the margins were too close.  All told I am happy with my decision and the cosmetic outcome is probably as good as it gets.  I never had  the blue dye as the lesion in my lymph nodes was larger than the breast one so I had to have the auxiliary clearance.
    xoxoxo.