Losing friends because of Cancer

Options
jane84
jane84 Member Posts: 63
edited March 2018 in General discussion
Anyone else feel isolated and like some friends have disappeared from your life since cancer?? I'm 34 and was extremely social before my diagnosis.  Since starting chemo for obvious reasons my social life has been put on hold for the most part.  It's like because I won't go out drinking or up for very much I'm now of no interest to some friends.  They've stopped texting and keeping intouch.  No one apart from my close family pops by to check on me and my children.  I feel like people are afraid of me! Am I alone on this?

Comments

• jane84
    Options
    Aww thankyou @AllyJay I was reluctantly aware this may be the case :( I guess it's just really hard to come to terms with.  You'd think when something like cancer happens to a friend that there would be more care and thought toward that person, but I guess they really weren't 'friends' to begin with if that's not the case. It's hard knowing you don't really mean that much to some people!  I miss my life and the friends I had before cancer, but I know I need to move on.  Maybe it's time to make friends with women who have been through similar :) 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Yes an unexpected consequence!  Some friends are seasonal, only for the good times and then there is those that you least expect check on you, turn up at the door with a cake or something!  So it works both ways, you lose some but you also win some!

Seeing your age group have you joined one of the groups on here, Young Women
    http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women

Take care 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jane84
    Options
    @Joannie I think I'll look into the support group thing! I think it's time I move on with some new friendships :) 
  • Jax1964
    Jax1964 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    I was having a big whinge about this just yesterday.
    I had a quick surgery last year, avoided chemo and skipped straight to radiation for 5 weeks.
    I've not been ill... I'm perfectly capable of going for a picnic, coffee, dinner, movie but has anyone called - nope - nada!!
    I'm perfectly happy to go out for dinner and NOT discuss cancer if it makes them more comfortable but seriously - they need to grow-the-hell-up.
    As a wise friend said to me... they were there for ONE chapter of your life story. 
  • jane84
    Options
    @Jax1964 it's so frustrating isn't it?? I guess we just have to learn to move on.  It's hard saying goodbye to some friendships though because for me before cancer they were great! When you care about someone you naturally hope they will care about you too.  It's sad when it's not the case :(

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @jane84 u definitely find out who your friends are at times like this. I have found that friends I would of expected to be there haven’t been and other people I haven’t spoken to in ages have been incredibly supportive. 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Quality not quantity. And, yes, what you gain in one aspect you lose often in another.

I now seem to be the expert in what to do when everything goes shit shaped. I must admit I'm maybe not totally dedicated to putting myself out for those who dropped me like a hot scone when I was in big trouble. Yes, I'll help, but not with great enthusiasm. It is interesting to see the approaches people take when they suddenly want something from you. Apparently I'm too independent to need help and it's remarkable how off putting any display of resilience can be for some folk. "I just didn't think I could help". Hmm, maybe not, but we'll never know now, will we?

• Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Unfortunately no you are not alone. My phone hardly rings anymore and I have also suffered the loss of many friends. I guess Cancer really knows how to weed the garden if you know what I mean. These days I go for quality not quantity. Us BC girls have got your back.
  • jane84
    Options
    Thanks @Tennille xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Sadly, it happens.  When my husband was diagnosed with stomach cancer back in 2010 - he was incredibly fit - an award winning triathlete!  I was AMAZED when one friend in particular never made contact after I'd advised him of his diagnosis!  I don't know if he thought it was 'catchy'?  We had supported him when his son was killed in a cycling crash, so it was even more weird.  We caught up with him last year when he visited from NZ ..... so that was good.

I've been lucky since I was diagnosed in Jan - most of my friends & fellow Uke Players & yak fishos have been incredibly supportive of me. Stunned - but supportive.

Our life is made up of friends who come in & out of our lives - some for a short time, some for a long time - some for ALL the time!   

Try not to worry too much about it - it is THEIR problem, not yours!  ;)