Next question - on waking

Options

Comments

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Hey @Eastmum when I woke up from the DIEP Recon the first words I said to the recovery nurse were "I'm alive!" I was so ecstatic...as it was a long operation, I just didn't know what would happen. They laughed at me...crazy woman...but I was over the moon.

Tell your anaesthetist you are worried when they come and see you prior to surgery and they'l probs give you something initially to calm you down....that's the nice bit :).

Good luck! In 5 days the next stage of your journey will be done and dusted...and new beginnings again x
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Thanks @nikkid I’ve actually already spoken to him on the phone! He told me it was very normal to be worried about going under and he was very reassuring. Whether or not he was telling the truth, he said exactly what I needed to hear! Hahaha. Still a bit scary though! Thanks for the wishes. X 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Eastmum Gosh you're good keeping it quiet. I think I may have done that a bit, but inadvertently as I was thinking and researching and fretting!

I'm not generally afraid of operations, though of course I do get nervous. However the length of this one does worry me. I hope I get some of the pre-op anxiety meds! For my re-excision the anaesthetist inserted my canula in the pre-op area and gave me some medication right there. I asked him what it was and he said Fentanyl. I asked him why and he said to relax me. Initially it made mevdeel quite loopy and I didn't like it but after a couple of minutes it was quite nice.

I'm getting a few things together for the hospital. I'm keen to hear what you'll find as the 'must haves'. And I'm definitely having a mani pedi! No polish though! Just a nice shiny buff.

Love Team Chirpy!  :*
  • nikkid
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My 'must haves' of all were the sheepskin (tick) and a large cotton wrap (scarf) that I threw over my shoulders or chest when feeling a bit cool in hospital. Best thing ever x
  • kmakm
    Options
    @nikkid I go to India regularly and have a drawer full of scarves, shawls and wraps... my problem will be choosing which one to pack!
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Hi @nikkid - a few people have mentioned the sheepskin. Why is it good to use? Do you put it under your back? Where do you get one from? thanks! 
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    @kmakm,My must haves were decent tea, ditto coffee and my own cup. Also (surprise surprise) a bunch of knitting and my well loaded kindle. Trying to hold a book open was a bother, and I found the kindle so much easier. Button up the front sleepwear as putting arms above the head with drains, drips and whatnot is also a bit of a mission. Nibbles for the midnight hours when ward noise keeps you awake, for me salt and vinegar chippies and boiled sweets.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @Eastmum Some hospitals discourage sheepskins or patients bring their own pillows. Hygiene issues, apparently. Also a problem if expensive personal items get bundled up with the laundry when someone strips your bed.
    The sheepskins help stop  pressure sores (which shouldn't be a problem for you) and are a lot more comfortable than laying on a sheet covering a plastic mattress.which makes you sweat. Awful.
    If you are only in for a couple of days, beg for an extra blanket and get someone to fold it in half and put it under your bottom sheet, it makes life more comfortable. I do that anyway because the plastic creeps me out. Anything that works.
  • kmakm
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Eastmum I've bought one. @nikkid put me onto this mob:

https://store.independenceaustralia.com/medical-supplies-equipment/pressure-care.html

Because you are immobile in bed at odd angles for a long time they can help ease the pain in your behind and lower back. It's medical grade and brand new so shouldn't be any hygiene issues!

Are you a member of the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group? Lots of info there!
  • Eastmum
    Options
    Thanks for that advice @Zoffiel - great idea! 
  • Eastmum
    Options
    @kmakm yes I am - I’ll go look x 
  • kmakm
    Options
    Thanks for that @AllyJay. I have the front opening bit sorted. Might take some teabags & trail mix, noted!
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    @kmakm I travelled a lot in India before “marriage , mortgage and kids “ and was a big fan of Chai tea. My kids are now fans too. On the weekly shopping is Arkadia Chai Tea Spice  stocked by all the supermarkets - is powdered including milk so only needs hot water - apologies if you know it. Nice hot drink if you haven’t tried it.
  • nikkid
    edited April 2018
    Options
    The sheepskin was a godsend - so comfortable! And no issues at all at the hospital. In fact, the older nurses were getting all nostalgic and remembering the days when they were routinely used! It’s also very handy when you get home...you’ll be having lots of naps and the sheepskin helps.

A V shaped pillow (got mine from KMart) is also great to rest on. I also took that to the hospital. Again no worries with it x
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Romla That is the best chai available at the supermarkets imho! Have you tried the dirty chai in the Arkadia range? Has some coffee added. My husband loves it. My favourite chai is the one you get on the Indian trains... though that is possibly more about the atmosphere! Any desire to go back one day? K xox