Next question - on waking

Comments

• Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Thanks @nikkid definitely don’t shy away from pain meds. Day 3 today and really don’t need much. More discomfort than pain. Can’t wait to go home! 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    You sound like you’re doing so well @Eastmum ! Keep it up...I remember Day 3 was the hardest for me (and one of the more experienced nurses indicated this was quite common). Those drains are annoying but I always say “better out than in!” Take care and keep us posted xxx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Great to hear Eastmum 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Just because you can lift your arms above your head doesn't mean you should. I was told specifically nothing above shoulder height for at least a week (it may have been 2 ) so not to put strain on internal suture line. Glad all going well. 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    edited April 2018
    I agree @primek....I had my mastectomy on the Tuesday am and physio saw me Wednesday with all the exercises.....told me I had to wait until the Saturday to do the above shoulder/above head exercises 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    That is absolutely brilliant @Eastmum! An excellent list. I shall be following it to the letter.

Will you have the drains out before you go home do you think? How many do you have?
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    I took my berlei post surgery bra that I got from bcna in my my care kit to theatre with me and woke up wearing that after my double mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction. I had 4 drain tubes, 2 in each side
  • Eastmum
    @kmakm I had 4 drains - 2 each side. One came out yesterday. My PS says he wants them draining no more than 30ml-40ml in 24 hours before they can come out. They come and empty them once a day - at midnight. Not sure why midnight! They’re steadily getting less full each night but still over 100ml. I guess it’s only been just over 3 days so I’m being a bit of an impatient patient. They do prefer that you go home without drains and I honestly would prefer that too but I think it depends which hospital you are in also. My MIL went home with a drain. Apparently on rare occasions a drain can be required to stay in for a few weeks. 

I’m not allowed to shower with drains in - only to wash below the waist and sponge with a cloth. That’s making me feel very ‘icky’ and I’m still developing my coordination with drain bag juggling. 

The drain bags you get from the breast care nurse, that are made by volunteers, are absolutely lovely. They tie up but I’m finding them a bit hard to keep on my shoulders. @kmakm I really recommend wearing them around your neck when you’re ready. It gives you two hands free to wash as best as you can and move around the bathroom more easily. What’s the date for your surgery?

• kmakm
    Friday 27th April. 16 days to go.

My PS says 5 - 7 days in hospital and I'll go home with drains out. Don't know how he can be so sure!

I was given drain bags & a Zonta pillow after my first surgery. I think I'll need a second Zonta from what the women say here.

It's all seeming very surreal right now.
  • Eastmum
    It’s still surreal for me too! I’m sort of waiting for it all to hit me. 
    The waiting is hard though - these next two weeks will probably go pretty slowly for you :)
  • Eastmum
    @kmakm - adding to the list! 
    . Dry shampoo - omg my hair feels disgusting. Thank god for dry shampoo! 
    . Something that makes you smell nice - like your fave perfume that you can dab or spray on your neck. The ‘bird bath’ wash just doesn’t do it for me. Still have 3 drains in and can’t shower above the waist until they come out. Even though I lather the dove soap as close to my drain sites as I feel is safe I just don’t feel clean enough or feel that I smell clean enough LOL. The perfume really helps. Mind you, the lovely nurse that chatted to me about how Tibetan monks often go a year without showering also made me smile hahahahaha 
    . A back scratcher with a long handle. The one thing I wish I had brought with me! 

• kmakm
    edited April 2018
    I have no hair!! And I have already lashed out a WHOLE three dollars on a back scratcher after I read that suggestion in the choosing breast reconstruction group!

The perfume tip is a good one, thank you! I used to wear perfume every day. Since I was diagnosed though I have stopped. It seems so, frivolous somehow. But I will pack a bottle of my favourite. It's light, subtle and fresh.

I could not go a year without washing!

Three drains still in is a nuisance! Hope they're out soon. Kate xox

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @kmakm - love this photo!! Xo
  • Eastmum
    Wow you really rock ‘no hair’ - you look awesome and you have eyebrows and eyelashes - cool! Well that’s one thing you definitely won’t need to pack then. 
    Wish i would have seen that back scratcher suggestion - sending my daughter to the $2 shop tomorrow! 
  • kmakm
    That's where I got mine!

My eyelashes have thinned a bit but my eyebrows have thinned more. There are definite bare patches which I hate of course. But as the overall effect is still one of eyebrow, I think I'm the only one who notices.

Thank you, and @Kiwi Angel for the compliments! My bald look has been quite well received. My husband, a sci-fi fan, calls me his sexy alien after this Star Trek chick!