Is it possible for a 16-year-old to get breast cancer?

Options

Comments

• tallytubby2001
    tallytubby2001 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Can the lump switch breasts?
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    Hi @tallytubby2001 what do you mean ? can it switch breasts? 
  • tallytubby2001
    Options
    @SoldierCrab The lump was on my left breast, but when I looked last night, it was on my right breast. Can the lump switch breasts?
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am not sure @tallytubby2001 since you are seeing the doctor this afternoon get them both checked out.... do you still have the discharge from the nipple area?  

it might help you to call the helpline it is FREE to call it from a landline. 

BCNA Helpline 1800 500 258

If you have any questions, concerns or require any further information
    or support please call 1800 500 258.  The Helpline is open Monday,
    Wednesday and Friday from 9 am till 5 pm EST and Tuesday and Thursday from 9 am
    till 9 pm EST.

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    You are entitled to free genetic testing. It's just whether it can be done under 18 I'm not sure. You can get breast cancer in either breast. Women commonly get lumps in breasts related to hormones. Discussing with a woman's health nurse will help you understand all  this. Your GP practise or local hospital should have one. 

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    @tallytubby2001 how did your GP appointment go this afternoon? Melinda
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    Good luck with everything @tallytubby2001. Thinking of u. 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Thinking of you @tallytubby2001.  I hope your appointment went well this afternoon.  Jane x
  • tallytubby2001
    Options
    Hi, everyone. The GP told me I shouldn't be too worried, and related the lumps to the contraceptive pill I started taking in January, due to it messing with my hormones. She said because my body wasn't used to the hormones, that's most likely why I had the lumps. Thank you all for your support.
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Options
    Hey Tally, that's great news.  Take care of yourself lovely. :smile:
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Yay!
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi @tallytubby2001

That is good news. 

Did your GP speak with you regarding any follow up or review of your breast symptoms?
    Was there any discussion regarding your family history?  Im following up as you mentioned your family history in your initial post.  You can ask your GP for a referral to a familial cancer clinic to speak with a genetic counselor.  Genetic testing is not done immediately, the first step is to obtain a detailed family history, based on family history they can identify the level of risk and what is the appropriate screening to put in place for your individual situation.  This may involve regular checkups with your GP.

I have attached some information below regarding common breast problems which includes information on the investigations of breast symptoms.  
    https://www.cancervic.org.au/preventing-cancer/attend-screening/breasts-health/breast-problems
    https://www.cancervic.org.au/preventing-cancer/attend-screening/breasts-health/breast-tests

Dont hesitate to call 1800 500 258 if you have any further questions or concerns.

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Excellent news @tallytubby2001 but also excellent advice from @Giovanna_BCNA that is wise to follow . XO
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    I'll second what @Romla has said 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Wonderful news - and some great advice from @Giovanna_BCNA.  Well done in coming to us for support @tallytubby2001.  Take care, Jane x