Feeling like a fraud

Options
Bearyfolk
Bearyfolk Member Posts: 2
edited February 2018 in Newly diagnosed
Hi Everyone.
I have been newly diagnosed. Everything has happened at light speed. I had a followup ultrasound on the 9th of Feb for another issue that they wanted to check. They found a small lump, did the needle biopsy then and there. Got the result on from my GP on the 13th, saw a breast surgeon on the 14th and had surgery on the 15th. I had a very small grade 2 invasive carcinoma of no special type and my lymph nodes were clear. Doc says I will need radiotherapy and consider hormone therapy. I do have to have another surgery to remove a little more breast tissue as she wasn't happy with the margin on one edge. 

I know I have been incredibly lucky that it has been picked up so early and that I won't have to go through having invasive surgery or chemo. Other than that I feel nothing. Everyone else around me seems to be more worried than I am. I don't know if it's because it has be so fast or because my son's partner has been through an awful time with breast cancer (double mastectomy and multiple infections), and comparing myself to her thinking what have I got to complain about.

Has anyone else felt like this.
Tagged:

Comments

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    HI Bearyfolk yes there are some ladies who feel like you do.... BUT you have had a diagnosis and that is enough for anyone. You might find that once the next surgery is over you will have had a bit more time to react to the diagnosis.... 
    I am sure others who have felt like this will respond to you. 
    Sorry that you have been diagnosed with BC 

Soldiercrab

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @Bearyfolk.  It is a whirlwind sometimes and a shock and sometimes it takes some time for the emotions to catch up.  Not sure if mine have, yet.  Diagnosis on 5/12, wide excision on 21/12, mastectomy on 8/1 and heading in this week for my second chemo.  As everyone else has said, there's a wide range of emotions and there's no "right" response to this.  I've been through shock, tears, disbelief, anger, depression and fear and back again.  I will say that after surgery I thought that I felt fine (not sure if I really did, though) so maybe this is it for you.  Or maybe down the track it might hit you.  If so, lean on those who support you.

Best wishes.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    I forgot to say that I also scared myself silly leading up to the surgery, and again leading up to getting my results ..... tho it is totally normal to go thru a raft of emotions throughout the BC journey!  As already mentioned, there's lots of tears at the initial diagnosis, anger, also a couple of dummy spits as well when some things DIDN'T go to plan ..... 

I just really feel for so many fellow members who've had a much harder time of it than me at this point in time, even tho my journey is not yet complete & there is no guarantee that the wheels may fall off further down the line!

I've had some fantastic support from family & friends & this has been invaluable in allowing me to concentrate on what was important at the time - getting thru this necessary ordeal!

• Jax1964
    Jax1964 Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi Bearyfolk, my journey has been almost identical to yours and I also used the same phrase as 'being a fraud'.
    Diagnosed just 8 weeks ago, 2 surgeries and I'm now in the 2nd week of radiation and consider this whole episode an inconvenient interruption to my travel plans.
    This is also not the worst medical thing that has happened to me.
    Don't beat yourself up - accept your journey and do not compare it to others.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Bearyfolk, @Jax1964 , my path  is very similar to you ladies; except for a little chemo  inserted in  the middle LOL. Did  have some side effects from this. Now looking for work 8 weeks after the finish of radiotherapy. I do feel very lucky and grateful at this stage. I love to be part of this network as I think we can all offer something and get support and info. One thing  I have gained is encouragement to get fit and exercise more.
    I agree with what Jax1964 says: 'Don't beat yourself up, accept your journey and do not compare it to others'.
    Best wishes to all from jennyss in Western NSW.
  • Sunshine0206
    Sunshine0206 Member Posts: 146
    Options

I often feel guilty because I have had such minimal drama with chemo but I try and turn that guilt into being grateful. Life plays out. We can’t control it. 

Our treatments may be different  but all of us have a risk/fear  of reoccurrence. It’s our common denominator and bond. 

Xx

• Bearyfolk
    Bearyfolk Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses and support. It is really nice to hear that no one on here judges on what type/size/treatment that you have. It's also good to know that I'm not alone with these feelings (or lack of them). I will stay positive and if it all comes crashing down (mentally) at a later date then I guess I will deal with it then. Thank you again ladies. I am so glad my breast surgeon told me about this site. I'll definitely keep popping on here and I hope that in time I can give support to others. 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Bearyfolk
    I like the term  lucky
    Only DCIS for me in 2011 with MX
    What i have learnt about medical issues  is never become complacent about your health..
    when treatment has finished continue to follow up  the minor aches and pains after cancer clear meant that mbc was caught early.
    many of us recover from bc some of us have it reappear  and like you i feel i am lucky as i still  have good health fairly fit and  not had chemo or rads.
    Yes everyone is different
    All the best 
    Bright in hope
  • Yogibooboo
    Yogibooboo Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Bearyfolk, I too had similar experience with low grade bc dx (LP/re-excision). Rads x 16 (started yesterday). I feel great (so far) and just relieved I didn’t need to have chemo or mx.  Ppl tell me I’m so brave and I say I don’t think so I just follow instructions from Dr. and others qualified, what else can you do?  Reality is we have the best case scenario in an otherwise gnarly situation, thank goodness!  I can’t wait to finish rads and fully get on with life. The one thing I have learnt is never take anything for granted as you don’t know what’s around the corner and to be grateful for a test run on something that could’ve been a lot worse.  

Big hugs and good luck xox
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.