Overhead discussion yesterday that made me sad/angry

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Ah, that made me laugh! I am a fan of a comment by the actor Anthony Hopkins that starts off "None of us are getting out of here alive." No joy whatsoever to the parents of a six year old with leukaemia, but for those who have already clocked up a lot of living, it's a salutary reminder of the only final destination. However we get there. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    This journey is all part of the tapestry of life. 
    As to late in my work that is a respectful turn of phrase.

• Rachwllms
    Rachwllms Member Posts: 22
    My pet hate question or phrase that a lot of people use when i tell them i had a lumpectomy is, "Oh at least you got to keep your breast." I really feel like bitch slapping them !!! Really....it's only a quarter of a deformed scarred breast but at least i got to keep it !! Hahaha
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Lets blame Joseph Campbell for the whole journey business. He wrote a book called ' The hero's journey' where he unravelled myths from all over the world and came up with a formula for what makes a story feel familiar and complete. 

Part of that were the seven archetypes or characters that feature in most heroic tales. I've kept myself amused for years fitting the people I've encountered during my cancer experience into that structure. I'd rather be distracted than terrified so that exercise works for me.

I'm not sure what word I could use in public to describe this whole shitfight, but I agree that journey doesnt cut it. Every time I hear that word it gives me the irrits so quickly that I get quite hostile towards whomever comes out with it. Childish, I know, considering that I can't come up with an appropriate alternative.
  • DearB
    DearB Member Posts: 205
    Shit happens kit. 
  • DearB
    DearB Member Posts: 205
    @zoffiel. What are the seven characters? We did a thing in a team building thing at my old with that decided ya into birds.  I got dove. The biggest dickhead there got eagle. Wtf what the only other choices were peacock and owl.  The jokes around the office for a few weeks was watch out little dove eagles eat you for breakfast
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2017
    Apart from the hero, or protagonist, there are the mentor, ally, herald, shapeshifter, trickster, guardian and shadow.
    Which makes eight. My brain don't work anymore. I've got my archetypes mixed up with my seven stories. Phhffft.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    If I hear one more person say "Journey" I am either going to throw up of slap them.  I go with Booby Prize @Joannie as well.