One year today since diagnosis. Reflections and what do I do now.

Options
kezmusc
kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
Hello lovelies.  I woke this morning to realise that it is one year today since my BC diagnosis.  My goodnes, how time flies.  Although sometimes this trip feels like it never ends.  Yep, one whole year since that dreaded pathology result said "highly suspicious for metastatic breast cancer".  
I remember the  feeling of waiting for all the final results so i knew what I was dealing with.   Felt like an eternity (which I am sure is a familiar feeling to everybody). Still gives me shivers thinking about it. 

The short version of the last year is.  Final diagnosis was stage 2 ER+/PR+ HER2 neg.  19mm breast tumour (which was an absolute bugger to find) and 25mm lymph node tumour with 5/24 LN involvement.
So 12 months since D Day, 11 months since surgery, 4 months since final chemo and 2 months since last radiation.  6 weeks on Tamoxifen. Wow, where did that year go?

After all that I am still waiting on yet another set of results from my 12mth scans.  With the long weekend in the middle I guess I'll be waiting for a few more anxious days.

I thank my lucky stars I found that lump under my arm when I did.  I feel incredibly lucky that I have come out of it with very minimal side effects and my life is bsically the same as before, but I have this constant  restless feeling that I should be doing something different, something more.

Wondering if others have just picked up where they left off or changed things in their lives a little or a lot?

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I slowly re-entered my own life. Went back part time and slowly increased hours. Exercise wise I'm not yet back to where I was pre cancer but I am full time now so I just have to take it a bit easy or I get overtired. 18 months on for me and I am feeling like a survivor. I'm learning to accept my limitations but determined to keep trying. My fight now is to reclaim my life, to reclaim my fitness, reclaim my sense of who I am and to reclaim my sense of feeling safe with my health. I'm nit quite there yet...but I'm so much closer. Kath x
  • Shorelle
    Shorelle Member Posts: 80
    Options
    I dont know how Im going to cope when its yearly scan time. The bare thought of it makes me have a panic atrack.  :'(
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Hi girls so I have a question. Is the12mth scan a standard thing? What scan is it? I had an oncology app on Friday and asked then what my follow up check would be after treatment has finished and my oncologist didn't mention any scan? 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    My scans are ordered by the breast surgeon 
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    The only follow up scans I have are mammogram & ultrasound on the remaining breast unless I was symptomatic.  I see someone from the team every 3 months. 
  • Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    The surgeon gave me the paperwork for mammogram and breast scan to be done prior to my 12 month follow up with him in Jan 2018 . I'm at 9 months mark and have tried hard to get back the aspects of my life that I enjoy. Funny how there can be benefits from BC, Like Afraser I've given up things such as working 10 plus hours a day, working standard hours  7 hrs a day now seems like a part time job , I also resigned from a Board which I battled to get on and struggled with the huge additional work load without pay. It was almost a relief to have a BC excuse to resign. i now spend my free time on me and family ,cycling as much as poossible as cycling makes me feel great. I want to try new things and plan to try dragonboating  when I get back from japan.Good luck kesmusc with your results. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @lgray3911
    6 monthly or yearly mammograms required dependent on breast surgeon and if you still have any breasts.

Yearly bone scans or CT / pet scans are not routine after early breast cancer treatment.  
    Bone density scans are often done annually to bi annually to look for osteoporosis if on Tamoxifen or an aramatose inhibitor. Kath x

https://breast-cancer.canceraustralia.gov.au/treatment/follow

https://breast-cancer.canceraustralia.gov.au/life-after
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I have had a mammogram and ultrasound on my remaining breast annually and I also have a bone scan every couple of years as I am on Femara. That may reduce if I get through my 5 year tests.
  • Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Just checked I'm having a mammogram and ultra sound sorry confused that with a scan 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    What to do now. Well, at ungodly o'clock (which I just realised was ungodly plus one hour) I've Gumptioned my cookware. 

I'm just on 12 months post diagnosis and I'm not so worried about the disease as I am about the general state of my life. Everything is grubby and disorganised. My half arsed attempts at  housekeeping--which was never my strong point anyway--mean I'm living in conditions that are starting to resemble my uni years. 

I am sure that 'That Poor Woman' (my shrink) would have some sage advice about priorities; such as concentrating on my work and studies. But, no. I'm having a mental churn in the early hours about how much I have to do, so I drag all my saucepans out and start giving  them a super clean.

The ceilings are festooned with cobwebs, there is dog hair everywhere and the bathroom...Phhffft.   I'm two weeks off submitting an assignment that I haven't even started, my boss is making polite noises about my not quite meeting deadlines---so I polish my pots and pans. At a time that means I will be completely rooted for the rest of the day. 

Oh well, at least it will look like the kitchen fairies have visited in the night when I finally drag myself back out of bed.
    Marg xxx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited September 2017
    Options
    (The shrink) would probably say you are deflecting (or deviating) away from what you know you should be doing!  To that I would say the pots and pans were on my priority list and I felt they needed to jump the queue!

Hope you feel refreshed this morning!  Take care
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    @Igray3911
    The surgeon ordered a mammogram and ultrasound.  I specifically requested an MRI as well as the two mammograms and ultrasounds I had at the beginning couldn't locate the breast tumour. This will make you laugh.  Aparently if you have had breast cancer you no longer come under the "high risk" category as far as medicare is concerned so only the U/sound is bulk billed.  If you are suspected of having or have a high family history of  BC then you are high risk and don't have to pay.  WOW.  There was a gap of $120-$240 on the mammogram depending on if they needed to take biopsies.  The MRI is $675.  No medicare rebate.  Go figure. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    Hi all
    My surgeon, who I see 6 monthly, orders only the tomosynthesis and mammogram plus the ultrasound if the radiographer wants one for additional clarity.  I was to see the oncologist one 6 mth then the surgeon the other but as she says I no longer require her services he kindly picked up the dollars for both visits !!!!
    Coming in on the cost of MRIs. My husband has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia and during the assessment phase we had to pay the full MRI cost.  Had he just been having unexplained headaches the MRI would have been free under Medicare - go figure !  Having worked hard and paid taxes all our lives we are not impressed.
    My out of pocket expenses for my BC are high, no discounts and I cannot afford reconstruction due to that (quoted $22k).  We struggle to pay private health insurance but are now thinking seriously of leaving that and going public.
    Summer  :-)
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    @Summerhill38, go public for your recon. You might have to wait a while but it will get done. My surgeon is sensational and does both private and public. If you wish to have reconstruction you are not banished from having it because you can't afford the private bill. Talk to your surgeon about going public and if he/she won't operate publicly get another surgeon!!! If you feel you can't argue this in your own behalf (you have a lot on your plate) get someone to go with you and advocate on your behalf! Huge hugs lovely, wishing you all the best. Xx Cath