On a brighter note

Options
Zoffiel
Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372

After a couple of weeks of investigation and some covert action by my BC Nurse, we found a way in the back door of the local YMCA (that sounds vaguely wrong, doesn't it) The Open Door program  granted me a three month pass. You beauty.

10 days, 12 km in the pool, three gym sessions and half way through my third yoga class, my body suddenly went "Oh, OK. I remember this"

I still can't touch my toes or cross my legs, sit on my heels or balance very well, but it was like a light went on and I could suddenly figure out where I was in space. The instructor is, apparently, not that popular with the 'older' users in this particular class because she is 'fancy', but when she moved from bridge to wheel pose I surprised myself and popped up too. All good, except I suddenly found myself hanging upside down thinking 'Right, smart arse, how are you going to get down?' Thankfully a couple of young lads who were doing the class as part of their sport and rec quals had set a precedent by noisily and repeatedly face planting trying to do 'crow' pose, so my plunk and grunt dismount was met with some humour.

I feel better now.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Hooray!! Although I am relieved to know someone else can't sit on their heels, my knees seem ready to pop when I try that. I am glad your persistence paid off (in cash terms!). Keep feeling better. 
  • Cyclo
    Cyclo Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Good on you Zoffiel nothing better than some exercise to bouy the spirit great sounds like fun too 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Oh great stuff. I cannot do any deep squatting without my thighs screaming since chemo..What is that about? I always had trouble getting up when not doing deep squatting frequently but I could always get down into it without trouble. 
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Wow, I can hear the positive energy in your writing! Good for you. Must feel great to do something that's actually good for your body.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Wow, I'm impressed. I think fronting up at a yoga class takes some guts!! Looking forward to hearing news of your progress
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Fronting up wasn't an issue, Jane--it's only the Y after all. I was more worried about getting through the class without farting or wetting myself :)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Zoffiel I think that's fantastic you found a way to get into the Y, sounds like you really enjoyed it, it's incredible isn't it as you say what the body remembers it used to do.  I haven't tried Yoga, yet I know it would do me the world of good, my lower back is stuffed.

@Primek concur with squatting pfffft I can't get up its difficult, but the work on the core helps with that. Have to remember that Chemo shrinks the sheath over all your muscles, so thats why we become tight and sore to move as well amongst other things.

Enjoy Marg! sounds awesome! M x
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Sounds like you did quite well. Good on you. <3
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Fuck your funny marg!!  I was doing the local Pilates class one day and felt like farting and held it in til the end of the class .... just, but during the class there was a lady in the beck row who most definately farted for all to hear and I had that awkward ignorance about it which is funny. Keep it up love it will be great for you and hopefully you can keep it up without peeing or farting.  It after all we've been through who cares if you do.... let em rip I say