Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Is ovary removal a viable option instead of hormone therapy?

Options
2»

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Sam I went through the process of Zoladex, a monthly injection every 4 weeks x 26 = 2 years! I have regular vaginal ultrasounds and my ovaries are healthy. Presently on tamoxifen long term - review again in October.  No I don't have bony mets and hope that I am improving everyday, some days feel like a little old lady that struggles to walk et cetera
    I hear your stress levels here however, please take a deep breath and have a long hard think about what is on offer.  Maybe consider ringing a Counsellor at BCNA or Cancer council, they maybe able to put you in touch with someone who is in your predicament! 
    Last night, here in Victoria, we heard of an MP lost her battle, breast cancer 2013 and recently announced that she was on extended leave due to multiple tumours.  Don't know why but she lost her battle!  That is heart breaking!
    Take care
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @Sam09 when you see your oncologist I suggest you ask specific questions
    1. Is there a benefit in having your ovaries removed considering you are post menopausal?
    I was told there was no benefit for me as my ovaries were no longer the source of estrogen in my body. 
    2. What benefit will letrozole give you?
    Nothing is 100% and there are no magic cures but you should be able to get an idea of what percentage of women in your position benefit from taking this drug and what that benefit might be.
    3. What percentage of women have side effects?
    It's very important to remember that not everyone has side effects and that the side effects can often be treated to minimise the impact.
    I'm on Arimidex which has very similar side effects to Letrozole. For me the joint pain was very annoying because at the beginning it stopped me from exercising (which ridiculously is one of the best ways to reduce the pain!!) I managed to get through this time and now at the 2 year point I'm happy to say I no longer have any pain. My bone scan earlier this year showed that my bones are strong and I don't need to be concerned about them thinning.
    In my circle of breast cancer buddies I know 2 ladies who are unable to tolerate Arimidex (and are on Tamoxifen) but there is also another woman who has never had any side effects at all. We are all different and so there is not one single answer for everyone. 
    Your oncologist is the best person to give you these answers. Good luck. 
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I had a full historectomy and took to temoxifin for 5 years unfortunately I   I don't think it is a replacement for  treatment just another safeguard.  Good luck with what ever you decide
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Just read the rest of the posts.  Stay away from xgeva ladies I lost 5 molers and 75% of my upper jaw (at the back thank god). The side effects are very real, but I do agree every drug reacts differently for individuals 
  • Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    Options

Sam09 said:

Do is what you are saying mean getting my ovarys out will not help
    because the drugs for me are not an option. I read the side effects of both drugs one in needle form to strengthen my bones and then laughable enough this drug to stop the production that has a side effect of thinning brittle bones exposed jaws teeth falling out etc etc
    no thanks not for me 

Hi Sam
    I remember having a petrifying fear of the prolia injections that my onc. suggested for my osteoporosis (The hormone blockers I use for estrogen positive bc as reduce my bone density significantly).  My onc. said that the necrosis of the jaw and falling out of teeth issues he has probably only come across once in his whole career of 20yrs plus and this was with an elderly patient that was on monthly prolia injections.  Usually bc patients like us with low bone density only requires a six monthly injection.  I am still fearful in saying this because I am 42 yo with bones of an 80yo and it is never far from my mind all the side effects but for me it is better than the alternative.  I've noticed another lady posted recently that she managed to control and even restore her bone density with a weight bearing weight lifting program she's been doing for the past 2 years I think and that without the prolia injection.  I will have to find a link to her post thought but I think it was called "Increased bone density without prolia injections or something"