Vitamins and supplements

Options
2»

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    The Memorial Sloan Kettering website is very helpful so thank you, ladies.
    The best thing is to discuss all options with one's treatment team (GPs often know very little so just hate anything they don't prescribe).  Even then some of the oncologists are not up with everything as research changes things regularly.
    Chemical companies push their products and the health food industry pushes theirs.  After all, if they can stuff you up with one thing they then guarantee their own future as they have something else ready to treat the next issue.
    Listen to your body, too, as you know it best.
    Summer  :-)
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    Kath is correct, I was deliberately put on Magnesium 350g in water daily together with Caltrate to really boost me as am Vit D deficient as everyone is lol and have osteoporosis a gift from Chemo LOL. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited October 2018
    Options
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @kmakm ? is it just me or is there nothing above in your post?
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Just a quick update - have subsequently read the new Clinical guidelines for osteoporosis and gather is reluctance now to recommend Calcium because cardiologists believe is causing heart problems.Will be talking to my oncologist about this as am concerned - now only take 1 Caltrate Bone and Muscle Health daily and switching to Vitamin D3 only - am fair skinned redhead and sun averse.Only other supplement I Take is 1 Krill Oil tablets as recommended by medical oncologist who put me on Letrozole . The latter may just be making exp
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @iserbrown Posted by accident!
  • Romla
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Thanks User deleted -  will read with interest. Admit to being surprised by the November 2017 Clinical guidelines for Osteoporosis .Here they are in case

https://www.osteoporosis.org.au/sites/default/files/files/20439%20Osteoporosis%20guidelines.pdf
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Vitamin K can be very useful, but is also useful to promote natural blood clotting ( ie stopping bleeds), my old dentist used to always advocate its use. But if like me you are trying to improve bone density and on blood thinners due to heart issues possibly caused by chemo, then seek medical advice before using vitamin K. Old story, good for one thing, maybe contraindicated for another.
  • Romla
    Options
    Thanks for that @Afraser as I am on blood thinners too.