Vitamins and supplements

Options
LisaO
LisaO Member Posts: 38
Is there a reputable fact sheet available for vitamins and mineral supplements, including possible benefits, that are ok to take alongside hormone treatment?
I have just recently started taking Tamoxifen and will be moved on to AI's around December.
At the moment Im taking Turmeric, Magnesium, Evening Primrose and Glucosamine. I mentioned these to my oncologist at my last visit.
Thinking of adding Biotin and looking into Vit D...then I may as well open my own vitamin shop in my kitchen!
I have never taken vitamins before but want to tackle this long haul with a positive attitude and anything which may help, well Im open to give it a good go.
Thanks

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Have you had blood tests so that you know what should be your targeted vitamin to take?
  • LisaO
    Options
    I recently had blood tests.  My oncologist had the results when I mentioned the vitamins and he was ok with them. No I dont know about "targeted" vitamins.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Not that I know of but saw my medical oncologist today for hormone therapy - I am to take Femara which is an aromatase inhibitor he suggested krill oil for joint pain side effects as well as Calciumand Vitamin D as AIS cause bone thinning ( apparently tamoxifen does not) Many of our fellow bloggers have posted they take powdered magnesium supplements. But wise to  check with your oncologist that any supplements and the dosage you are taking don't conflict with their medical regimen.
  • LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Options
    Hi LisaO, unfortunately my GP and oncologist are not really for vitamins.  My GP did request the usual yearly blood test and said all was well.  I think eating good foods (maybe organic) should be all we need but I understand there are some exceptions and sometime vitamins are needed in some cases....I'm never sure about this.
    sorry probably not much help.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    I ask because they say if you're levels are good they say it is expensive urine. When I said targeted vitamin what I was trying to say is are you deficient in a certain vitamin. 
    If your Onc is happy with what you are doing that is what counts.
    Take care 
  • Romla
    Options
    Good point iserbrown - only have to for me is Calciul/ Vitamin D due aromatase inhibitors thinning bones and my preexisting osteoporosis thus requiring Prolia injections 6 monthly as a bone builder
  • LisaO
    Options
    Thanks iserbrown.  I like your terminology "expensive urine"!!  I suppose I'm trying to go down the preventative path in trying to eleviate a few of the numerous "possible symptoms".

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    For questions about vitamins and supplements,BCNA recommends googling Sloane Kettering Institute. I take a good multi multivitamin such as Blackmores.A naturopath told me it is the safest to take whilst on other medications because it doesn't contain herbs or other ingredients.I find it helps me a little and apparently it's beneficial in the long term.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    For the record, I am on Femara, which can play havoc with bone density, and take vitamin D, calcium and vitamin B on my oncologist's recommendations. My cardiologist recommends magnesium and Q10. I also take biotin, fish oil and a probiotic, all approved by everyone as being at least harmless. Apart from rattling when I walk (joke),  I am feeling pretty good. Agree  with @iserbrown however that unless prescribed or in response to a clear deficiency, you are probably wasting your money.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @LisaO, here is the link Tonyam was talking about. Its a fantastic reference to have. https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs  Xx Cath
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I am on Tamoxifen. I take 50mg of aspro to prevent vein blockages in my eye. I also take vitamin D, magnesium and vitamin C daily. I have been known to have low potassium levels which manifest themselves as calf cramps so sometimes I take a prescribed potassium pill or get back to eating a banana a day.
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    Options
    Hi @LisaO, It's Lisa from the Policy Team. Like @socoda and @TonyaM have said, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre's 'About Herbs' website can be helpful as you can type in specific vitamins, herbs or botanicals that you are interested in and get information about the products as well as possible interactions with medications. Though, we always recommend talking to your doctor before taking anything new as some products can reduce the effectiveness of medications, such as hormone therapy. 

I just wanted to add that our Hormone Therapy booklet might be useful. It has information about strategies that can help reduce the side effects of hormone therapy as well as information about complementary medicines and therapies.

Warm regards,
    Lisa 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @lisaO It is a good question, but I guess too no point taking things unnecessarily. 18 months ago when I finished chemo I was automatically put onto Vitamin D, majority of people are and funny thing is majority of the population are actually deficient in Vitamin D. Vitamin C as that helps with absorption of the Vitamin D. I was seeing a Kinesiologist when I finished and have since seen a Naturopath who both put me on Magnesium, that is the NO. 1 thing they say you should be on, it's like the baseline as it services over 300 enzymes in the body at a cell level for rejuvenation, that with a half teaspoon of caltrate. Thats all :) neither recommended anything else and I have to say I really do feel good and I know its the magnesium more than anything. Hugs Melinda xo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Be aware that some compisite vitamins have crossover vitamibs. Caltrate Plus has magnesium, zinc and magnesium to support bone and muscle. 
  • Romla
    Options
    I have osteoporosis and have been taking 2 Caltrate  Plus daily since it became available and have thus far (pre- Femara )have found it excellent . Was a bit worried initially as manufactured in China in the light of recent issues with frozen products  but been reassured by pharmacist that is ok.