Newly diagnosed mother

Options
2»

Comments

• Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Options
    Hi sgamble, Just a quick note because I am late for work, but sorry you and your mum are on this journey. I did private chemo and didn't have any out of pocket expenses. Also some super schemes have income protection insurance as an added benefit so check that out first, it's different to the trauma payments.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @Sgamble You know your Mum best and being there for her and helping her is wonderful. I just wanted you to get how people feel inside even if they are in the fight and ourwardly positive. Hope all goes smoothly for the biopsy. X
  • Sgamble
    Sgamble Member Posts: 9
    Options
    @primek thank you :) keep your fringes crossed x 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hi @Sgamble, so sorry your mum finds herself going through this.  You are an amazing support to her but don't forget to look after yourself too. When I was diagnosed I coped fine - sometimes it's easier when it's happening to you. My husband was a mess and ended up calling the phone counselling thru BCNA.  Counsellors are not just there to help the cancer patient - those who are close are also suffering. Sending you a hug,  Jane xx
  • Sgamble
    Options
    Hi @Hopes_and_Dreams thanks for the supportive message. I have a few friends that's have used the BCNA counselling service and they highly recommended it. I think that's something that I'll will use at a later date :) 
    i hope you a well :)
  • Ne
    Ne Member Posts: 336
    Options
    I am sorry about your mum.  Just wanted to say that I did my chemo private as well as my surgeries and the bill for surgeries was quite high.  Not sure I would do it private again after hearing that you get the same drs pretty much if you do go public.  The nice thing about private is I got to choose my surgeons which I valued heaps.  With Chemo I was admitted every time so that was paid for under my hospital cover which helped heaps.

Also, I claimed my 'trauma benefit' from my life insurance policy.  Only thing is, most companies will only pay out trauma cover for bc if patient needed a mastectomy.  they normally don't pay out trauma cover for a cancer diagnosis without mastectomy (for instance just lumpectomy), So unfair!.

I would definitely look into being gene tested if there is such a strong history of BC.  I myself got BC at age 39 and never knew of family history or genetics until I got gene tested and it turned out to be positive for the BRCA2 gene mutation.  This meant I could be proactive and have preventative surgeries (mastectomy of my remainder breast as well as a full hysterectomy).  These preventative surgeries significantly reduced my risk of developing a new cancer after my initial one.

This is the best forum to read up on any terms or things that might be confusing during the first few weeks after diagnosis.  You have come to the right place.

• Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Hi, i also had my chemo of 16 sessions before  the planned surgery late May 17.  It was to shrink the tumour of 4cm. My BC is alo in the breast and lymph  nodes.
    Chemo is doable,  not as frightening as it sounds, the way I looked at it was that it was going clear me of that dreadful  word C....cer. it doesn't  hurt,  i had the canula each time and sometimes it was hard to find a vein for it,  it just depended on the nurse.
    My tumour has shrunk,  and i finished  chemo last week...what a relief :) i had a long hot shower afterwards  and cried my eyes out with sheer  relief that that part of my journey was over.
    Also, I change my diet to make sure i ate well as they do a blood test each time before chemo to ensure the blood levels are ok, otherwise chemo cannot  go ahead.
    I am seeing my surgeon as a private patient and wiĺ be operated  at a private hospital, he's  fees are no gap (agreement between prv hosp and my insurance) but the  anesthesia will have to pay about $600 out of pocket. I asked my surgeon and he was able to tell me the costs
    My scans have been done at the private  hospital also, I've had to pay first  and then claim from medicare. Out of pocket for that also.
    My chemo was at Concord  hospital in Sydney  and radiation will be at RPA (after the op), both public and not out of pocket expense for me, that is the way my treatment was arranged. 
    Re the head gear, i bought couple from ebay, they care called chemo turbans, very cheap $5, however they are polyester and got hot in summer,I found the bamboo  ones more comfortable. 
    Your mum will have good and bad days,  its all normal.
    She is lucky to have you.
    Take care and a step at a time...:)

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @sgamble Samantha Ive just caught up on your post and wanted to say how gorgeous you are supporting your Mum like this! Youve gotten some great advice and suggestions, its a wonderful network of support, I have found invaluable. I had my 1st diagnosis 2011 and worked through treatment surgery and radiation then tamoxifen 4yrs. I had a recurrence in 2015 and had to do chemo, it was hard going but like Kath says its doable, she'll need an enormous amount of support. We can give you heaps of tips of chemo :) and how to manage, thing is thats the physical side, the mental, emotional side is the toughest part of all. Counselling is so incredibly helpful as they are removed. Im wondering is she able to get on the forum too?? and have a chat? there are so many women going through similar things and its a great place as we all just get it!!! It may help settle her a bit..

I have private health cover and I also have a Health care card, my Oncologist and Surgeon are Private so I did chemo private. I had no out of pocket with chemo at all. Only if I needed medication and my Onc visit. My recent mastectomy/diep flap recon however I went public as my surgeon and Plastic Surgeon both private work public too. I had zero out of pocket as opposed to $10,000 if I had of gone privately. So up to you, my radiation I did public in 2011 and chemo was private. 

I also went down the path of needing financial assistance, Im a single parent but was working full time. My Superannuation also wouldnt help as I wasnt terminal, so no joy there. Centrelink wouldnt help either with sickness benefits as I had to use all sick leave which I did and then wait 12 weeks for a payment. What a joke!! So luckily one of my Superannuations had Income Protection built into it. Its a hell of alot of paperwork but so worth it!! So 2016/17 I am on it and work reduced days only 3 out of 5 until the end of the year. They pay up to 65% of my wage which is better than nothing. 

Dont hesitate to ask away anything we may be able to help you with. Hugs Melinda xo
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi @Sgamble, just wanted to say what a wonderful job you're doing with your mum. The day I had my biopsies I was at breast screen and already knew that I had breast cancer (dimpling, tumour etc etc) and there were two lovely ladies in the waiting area. One was also having a biopsy and the other was there to support her. I was upset and having a quiet cry and they told me that after the biopsy they were going out for a special lunch and then invited me along. Well after such a beautiful display of kindness it just made me cry that bit harder because when you're not 100% someone being nice to you breaks all your defences. I thanked them profusely but didn't go out to lunch with them. If however I had taken family with me I reckon I would've gone out for a nice lunch somewhere because it's almost like a reward for having gone through something unpleasant. Perhaps broach the subject with your mum and see how she feels. Also I know that the other ladies have mentioned counseling but I think I would be giving my mum the cancer council telephone number 131120 so if there is anything she needs to discuss and doesn't feel comfortable talking to yourself or other family members about she can off load to the counselor. She may never use it or she may but at least she will have it. Sending  you both a big hug. Xx Cath
  • Sgamble
    Options
    Thank you, @melclarity for your kind words. I am in the process of getting mum on the forum but She is not good with technology. It took me a couple of days to show her facebook lol god love her! So I'll sign her up and I'll help her through the site. It's a great site and everyone is so supportive which is awesome. It's hard to ask question or advice when people don't know what you're talking about. 
    We have decided to go private and we have spoken to her health insurance. Like you they will cover everything if she is admited for the day. That's a huge relief on the financial side. 
    I have spoken to her super and they have agreeed to release 10% as she is near retiring age. 
    I am wondering if anyone had problems working while on chemo. I know it can be done but my mum is a aged care nurse and more worried about infection that she may pick up. 

• Sgamble
    Options
    Thank you, @socoda for your kind words :) 
    i have to agree with you about the random acts of kindness. What a beautiful guesture that the women made for you. It's nice to know someone actually cares and are supportive even though they are stranger. How I see it, every woman or man who has or is suffering from beast cancer is family. You all need to stick together to support one another :) 
    i have spoken to the cancer council and they are fantastic! They sent out some awesome information books where mum and I read together. It explains the whole process better than the doctors as I seem to find they are in a rush. 
    I think counselling will be good for her. 

Also, UPDATE: mum had got her results back from recent ct scans and bone tests and the cancer has not spread. **whooo happy dance** 
    she is keen to start treatment and kick cancers butt! 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Sgamble Thats good news, sounds like youre getting somewhere. You know, even if you setup a discussion for her and then she can read the replies? will get her warmed to it :) It really depends in terms of working, there are alot that work through and alot that can't or couldn't like me, I was far too ill and I work as an ES in an Autism Specific School so it became much too hard. My Oncologist did say though in terms of catching anything that it wasn't an issue at all, that I had more luck at catching something at the supermarket. He was right, I did work for about 8 weeks into Chemo out of 4.5 months and I didnt get anything. I then had to stop, my Super wouldnt help but the following year I found Income protection and it was a 90 day waiting period, but by the time I applied I ended up with 3 months backpay, still on it til January and Im 16 months post chemo but can only manage 3 days a week in my work still even working with an Exercise Physiologist so she really will have to wait and see how she goes.

Great news with the results Yippee!!! Hugs Melinda xo
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Samantha @Sgamble, how fantastic that the cancer has not spread. I can totally understand your mum wanting to get on with it. Best wishes Xx Cath
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Fantastic news on the scans ...woohoo.

I wasn't well enough to work through chemo. Aged care nursing is quite physical so maybe your Mum could discuss alternative duties if she can't cope with normal duties. Some employees are wonderful. Mine were prepared to let me do that but I decided I was just to unwell and wanted to take the time for me. Everyone is different. She won't know until starts, many cope without problems,  just feeling a bit tired. I was dizzy, nauseated and exhausted on chemo. Not conducive to nursing in my current position.