Bookworms unite

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Small plug - reckon everyone should read "The Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society " it's a nice easy read and bit of a feel good story handy to have sometimes
  • Romla
    Sorry guys am a bibliophile who had the pleasure of volunteering in a large secondhand bookshop - bit like putting a kid in charge of a lolly shop - my husband worries the floorboards at home are bowing under the weight
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Ditto for the Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society  -  good reading for a wet day or a stressful week.
  • Romla
    Afraser I noted your interest in the rise of Trump - if you haven't seen it highly recommend the documentary series "The Circus" available on Stan about the 2016 primaries , presidential election and first 100 days of Trump 
  • Romla
    melclarity if i may be so bold you might like Margaret Craven's novel "I heard the owl call my name" - it's a special book and a longtime favourite 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Many thanks - I think I need a Trump free few weeks, though, I am just depressing myself!! 
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    I grew up in a home with a room called the library!
    My mother now volunteers for Lifeline sorting the books for their big book sales, in fact she is there this weekend at  Knox school in Wahroonga where they have their biggest sale of the year.

Sadly I could not be there to help her this year to set up as I was still suffering the effects of chemo, I usually come home with a big bag full.

Mum does however select books for me all year, I have a stack waiting to be read, usually ones I would not have picked up myself but turn out to be great reads.

I like John Grisham, Dick Francis (and now co written with his son Felix Francis) murder mystery stories centred around horse racing in England. 
    I still enjoy a Georgette Heyer romance, and "The Cat Who" books, which although they are mystery stories are a light easy read and a bit quirky, they are centred around two Siamese cats.

• viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    My dad is a huge PD James fan! I love the Corfu trilogy and read it when I was 16 recovering from appendicitis. I laughed so much I nearly burst my horrible black stitches! There was a movie out before the TV series and I love both. If you like English family stories that are humorous, try The Darling Buds of May, HE Bates. There is also a TV series and it's beautiful. Starring a very young Catherine Zeta Jones. I'm reading David Sedaris at the moment for laughs.His latest book of memoirs. I've read everything of his purely for the bizarre wry humour. He's coming to Australia soon. xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    The Darling Buds of May - what a great TV series they made of that - just loved watching it!  Catherine Zeta Jones before she became famous!
  • Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. Read it years ago, swore i'd never read it again cos it was so intense. It's now been made into a 10 part series on SBS on demand. Re read it and watched the series...loved it. Anything by Rosalie Ham (The Dressmaker) the book is way better than the movie though a lot darker. Joanne Harris is good (Chocolat) there are a further two books in that series just as good as the first. Currently reading The Walworth Beauty by Michele Roberts which is set in 2 time eras in London. My go to book for all time is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. i just love the way she pokes fun at the aristocracy. My list could go on. if you're into Sci fantasy Games of Thrones is not bad though i got really bored by about half way through book 5...i think every time he couldn't think what to do with a character he knocked them off though my favourite, Arya, is still alive.
  • Romla
    Hi  unicornkisses - I have a library room too but spilling over onto any spare wall in the house.You might like Margery Allingham and Dorothy Sayers - great  vintage crime with the focus on detection rather than the awful ways people can be murdered - bit like Agatha Christie Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot. Hi Viking1 First read The Darling Buds of May as a teenager and loved the tv series too.If you'd like something fascinating to watch have you seen "The Up Series" by Michael Apted -every 7 years since the 1960s he has interviewed he same group of people in UK starting when they were 7- you might be able to get it thru you library- most remarkable thing I've ever seen.Hi artferret - always been a Bronte fan myself but the Tele movies sparked my interest in Austen.Must get a copy of the Atwood as hearing so much about it.Great to read you all on the blog xoxoxo
  • iserbrown
    Thumbs up to the 7 up series 
  • Romla
    Iserbrown Did you know Lyn the East end girl who became a librarian passed away?
  • iserbrown
    No I didn't know that. I just looked it up. 
    http://www.stsavioursschool.org.uk/library-opened-in-memory-of-lynn-johnson/

Isn't that just wonderful 
  • Romla
    Yes indeed - one of my favourites from aged 7 - quite a special woman - intelligent , committed to her students and her community. I liked mostly that she remained true to herself and never lost sight of where she came from - takes great strength and character to do that.