Bookworms unite

Options

Comments

• Kat09
    Kat09 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 269
    Options
    The Girl Before by JP Delaney, it's of a similar ilk to The Girl on the Train and Gone Girl. I have also just finished the Girl in Kellers Way by Meagan Goldin ( her first novel ) it was also really enjoyable. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I know right, my gran got me reading as a child too. I still have a couple of books she gave me for birthdays with a greeting written inside. Treasured especially now since she's been gone over 20yrs. <3

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm working my way through the Agatha Christie full length Hercule Poirot books on my Kindle. They take my mind of stuff but give me a bit of a mental workout. I've got a mix of paper and electronic books, including some much treasured "kid's books" like the Swallows & Amazon books by Arthur Ransome, more escapism.  yay!!!!
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    I remember the book club in primary school in the 60's.  We used to order in class from a catalogue and a few weeks later our chosen books would magically arrive! I used to read on the window sill by moonlight long after I was told "lights out" as a kid.  It is certainly a life long love x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    There's a lot of script in this post so I thought I would add a photo of a collection of books

• viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Tonight I finished "Pretty is What Changes: Impossible choices, the breast cancer gene,and how I defied my destiny." By Jessica Queller about her diagnosis of positive for the BRCA mutation. Although I don't have this type of cancer I wanted to read about people's experiences. So not a good choice if you want a distraction! I was interested to read that she was a script writer for Gossip Girl and the Gilmore Girls (not my cup of tea but interesting) - so she's in her mid 30s and the book mostly targets this age audience (in letting young women know this is not an older woman's disease).  Her mum is diagnosed with breast cancer at 52, my age, and dies at 60. The book did clear up some info for me about cancer and helped me think more about the whole politics of breasts/femininity/cancer/survival.  I would recommend it to anyone in the BRCA 1/2 position as although there is some fairy floss, the book would help me make a very hard decision easier.
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Oh, if anyone wants it, I will pop it in the post! x

• Mary60
    Mary60 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hey adean, I'm with you on Liane Moriarty novels. I started with Big Little Lies and loved it. You should try her latest Truly, Madly, Guilty it is just as good. I love the fact that her books are set in Australia.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Our Dad used to take us to the library on Saturday mornings. We'd return last week's books and then just scatter.....two hours later we had to be back at the desk with next week's books all ready to be checked out.  Five of us, all readers, all different tastes. I still remember sitting on the library floor reading a particular book, a chapter a week, so I could still have my full allocation of checked titles to take home.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Rapunzel that was my thing with my kids, I used to take them to the library fortnightly to story time and they got all the books they were allowed to borrow for the next fortnight..... I love the impact that has on our children who then grow into adult readers who encourage others to read be it their own children or friends. 
  • Michelle49
    Michelle49 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi girls I love several fantasy writers so much that I reread them every year lol great for when your getting chemo done as if your interrupted it doesn't mater. I like David Eddings, Raymond E Feist the dragon lance series and the late Sara Douglas. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Just finishing "The Corfu Trilogy" by Gerald Durrell lighthearted and funny .True story of an English family moving to Greece in the 1930s - full of eccentric wonderful people and a bit of natural history from a juvenile David Attenborough. If you'd like a lift this is a good one.Even made a Tv series about them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've been reading 'When breath becomes air' by Paul Kalanithi. I was reading it in hospital. It's about a surgeon's experience with cancer which can be pretty heavy going. I've got 'The Scandal' by Frederik Backman lined up to read next. It's a murder mystery which looks pretty easy to read. I'm a teacher so I also have lots and lots of essays to read and mark. ☕️
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    I just finished Black Rock, White City by A S Patric. He's an Australian author who's just finding his own style which tends toward the literary, which usually turns me off. I generally like my books fast and furious, but this story about a Serbian couple living in Melbourne was a good read.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Lots of great reading suggestions for me here ladies - for the crime novel fans have you read P D James - esp "Devices and Desires ? her only fizzer imo  was when the Jane Austen Trust allowed her to write a sequel to "Pride and Prejudice" -she was a lifetime Austen fan and was her last book at 91