Lymphedema garments in the heat grrrr

Options
13»

Comments

Share Member Posts: 217
    Options
    My original garment was a Jobst which was for my arm only. 

Due to the increase in the swelling I was then recommended to get a full arm with half hand glove (comes to the knuckles) and this brand is Mediven. 

Both of these were measured and ordered by my physio(s) & took about 7-10 days. 

Thanks @Soldier Crab for that information - I also got that from the BCNA website in their lymphodema fact sheet.

I work part time (4 days per week at the moment) and my husband has a full time job. We are not concession card holders, would not pass the means test however it is so frustrating when you go to claim on your private health insurance (w extras) and are told that it is a "medical aid" and garment(s) not covered, nor the device to fit it. Each time I attend the physio/laser treatment I get $25 back from the health fund and out of pocket expense is $90. 

This bc stuff is a trial without worrying about the additional expenses, I would much rather focus my energy on my health  :#

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    It is irritating! My current garment is not the most expensive I've had (that was the seriously dodgy local one!) but they are not cheap. At least this one is really hard wearing. I had an interesting discussion with my private health cover (upping my cover while I can afford it!) to try and find out what covers lymphoedemic massage. Sports injury? Easy! General massage? No problem. I think I've now got it included but suspect it'll take a claim to test it! My insurer has been pretty good on hospital so fingers crossed. 
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    @Share I was able to claim with HCF for garments, nowhere near full cost but some of it.  It was classified as an external appliance.
    Paula xx