Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

love that liver

Options
Well I never thought I would be posting this.
2013 first diagnosed with breast cancer. Had a mastectomy Jan 2014, reconstruction later that year. 
Was told that it had all been taken so no need for chemo and I didn't want it plus I saw what my sister went through with chemo for BC.
Aug 2015 found out that this lovely experience had gone to the spine.
Had 10 radiations and that really helped. No issues,
Jan 2017 it has spread to the liver. How amazing. What creative creatures us humans can be.
Dr's said that I had to start paclitaxel so have had the first of the "love juice".
Do the side effects get worse or better? I suppose it can be different for each person.

I am a fairly strong calm person who looks at life from a bigger picture. I must sound like a bit of a wimp but holy mackerel it's going to take a lot of guts to keep this up. 
I was told that there is no cure for mets in the liver,{ not that I have to believe that}.
I question the quality of life not the quantity.
Well I suppose only time will tell what one will decide.

Just goes to show that none of us know what the next day will bring so make the best of each moment.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,375
    Options
    Dear Ephima

You don't sound like a wimp at all, that's a very tough hand you've been given. As always, it will be one step at a time. Chemo tends to affect people differently and if there is a rhyme or reason to it , I've never worked it out. Pacletaxel side effects can include peripheral neuropathy (starts with tingling in the toes and finger tips, worth watching and taking action to limit damage). This chemo tends to be rough on soft tissue so you can get bloody noses or blurry eyesight (will all clear after treatment). I lost most of my tastebuds. Came back just as fast. On the positive side, I had no nausea or fatigue from any of my chemo treatment. We are amazing creatures and almost anything is possible. Keep positive and keep strong.
  • Ephima
    Ephima Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for your feed back Afraser.
    At the moment swallowing is a pain amongst a couple of other things. Time will tell and we can only do what we can with the strength we have. So far no nausea. So there is always a silver lining if you care to look for it.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Hi Ephima
    Crumbs you've been dealt some challenges.  You are not a wimp! You are strong willed and we will be sending virtual hugs and positive vibes. Take care xx

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    The weekly chemo is tiresome. I had some issues but was also on herceptin which was causing some of it and some issues with the steroids, which I needed a high dose pre chemo as allerhic. I had some bad arthralgia for sone cycles but not all for othets. I got some neuropathy which is almost resolved. Some tummy issues, couldn't eat spicy food. Nexium and zantac sorted that. I did get very tired by the 12 week but picked up quickly. 

I am sorry you have to go through this. I hope the taxol does a good job so you have that quality of life for many more years. Kath x
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Wishing you the very best possible outcome.  Very tough for you.  Karen 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,506
    Options
    Ephima, so sorry to hear of your journey this far!! I agree there are no guarantees for any of us, all we can do is make the right decisions at the right time for ourselves. You've done exactly that, Ive had a recurrence but am 1yr post chemo and fine, just mastectomy to go as precaution now, but I guess its that thing where sometimes you feel damned if you do damned if you don't. I was really angry at my recurrence after doing aggressive treatment and it still came back 4yrs later. One thing I know, there is NO RHYME OR REASON, and there definitely is nothing that you do or eat or not eat that contributes, it also doesnt discriminate. I love your attitude!! Lets make every single minute count!!!! All of us!!!! I had FEC and Taxol, I wouldnt say it gets better unfortunately, but its doable! and I so agree with you, I know for me its not about quantity its the quality! So hang in there!!! Hugs Melinda xo
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Bugger! That's a tough post to read, I'd prefer not to think about how tough it must have been to write. Chemo sucks, sorry. I bought a bottle of 120 probiotics--I figure if I take one a day, by the time I get to the end of the bottle all the slicing, dicing, frying and poisoning will be done and I'll have to come to terms with life from there. Mxx
  • angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    Hi Ephima,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am in a similar position to you. I was diagnosed with bc in Nov 2012 &  had a lumpectomy in Dec 2012. Did chemo & radiotherapy in 2013. In late 2016 my oncologist told me that all was clear & to go away and enjoy life. All was good until March 2016 when they found it had spread to my liver & then in April 2016 I was told it is also in my spine. Life is too short. Enjoy every minute as you said. I thought I was a strong person but my diagnosis has tested me. But I will not give up.. Big virtual hugs to you... Ang
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi there @Ephima, I just wanted to say hello and to let you know that if you need any help working your way around the Network, to please just let me know. I am not sure if you have had any time to have a look around just yet, but I did just want to let you know about a resource pack with information on metastatic breast cancer called Hope & Hurdles, which is available to be ordered online here . If you need any help with accessing any information or additional support, or just how to use the Network and connect with others, please just let me know.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Ephima, Just want to send you a huge hug and say that your positivity is awesome. Wishing you all the best for your treatment and stability in your health. Xx 
  • RNSW
    RNSW Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Hi Ephima,
    When I had my 6 months and 16 rounds of chemo I was surprised how quickly time had past and it was done. You are brave just by writing that post you can do this. I hope all goes well.
    Rita xo
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Just look after yourself Ephima, you are number one in this fight and you might have to be tough on family by declining some outings if you think you aren't up to it. Its kind of the turtle and the hare, slow and steady and a long life vrs go everywhere and do everything fast. Hopefully you can find a happy medium in there. Hugz <3