Walking After Surgery ...

Options
DMaree
DMaree Member Posts: 26
edited November 2016 in Day to day
Hello Ladies, I have a question, I have a flight of 15 stairs, quite steep at home to get up and down, once home from hospital (part mastectomy sentinel node biopsy) do you think I should be ok to make it up and down or may take a while to do so ? I understand everyone is different, just wondering as my kitchen is upstairs and loungeroom/bedroom downstairs ... Getting closer now and silly questions are popping into my head ...

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi DMaree, everyone is different but I think you will be fine, you are used to using those stairs but just take it slowly at first. I initially had lumpectomy & sentinel node biopsy & was out walking the next day followed by mastectomy & full axilla clearance & was exercising again within 2 weeks!
  • DMaree
    Options
    Thankyou Glemmis, I am just not sure obviously of what is to come, so this is a positive thing to hear. I hope you are going well.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    You'll be fine - I have stairs here and I managed alright - I think it is more about the shock to the body and the adjustment as we become so tired from surgery
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Donna, I had a single mastectomy with immediate implant and was walking 2 flights of stairs at the hospital the day after surgery (used it as exercise). Just make sure your footwear is something that you can't possibly trip in - same as any other time really :) All the best Xx Cath
  • DMaree
    Options
    Thankyou Cath, Very positive Thankyou !

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hi Donna, I had the same surgery Cath.  I didn't walk up stairs but my husband encouraged (made) me walk all around the hospital corridors from day 1.  As the other ladies have said, just make sure you have secure shoes and take it slowly.  I'm sure moving keeps us oxygenated and helps healing.  Good luck :)  Jane xx
  • ScorpionQueen
    ScorpionQueen Member Posts: 768
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I had lumpectomy and auxillary node clearance...then a bi lateral mastectomy with expanders.....I too have 16 stairs out the front of my house....wear stable shoes, thongs and slippers are a no no! .....hubby used to walk behind me in case .......you should be OK though....take your time though and hold onto the railing for stability..... wishing you all the best
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I had a mastectomy and I was fine. But everyone is a bit different so just take some basic precautions at first, see how you go.
  • DMaree
    Options
    Thankyou All So Much This Was A Huge Thing On My Mind, Now I Am Confident I Will Get Up Them Just Fine With Time ~D~
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Stairs aren't a problem however if you are on some heavy pain killers and you are getting dizzy spells, try going down the stairs one by one on your bottom. At least  you won't topple over then and hurt yourself. ALWAYS be careful on stairs. I am only here today because God saw fit to give me a second chance after I had an awful fall on stairs a few years ago. Dislocated a few things but nothing broken thank goodness. My face was pretty banged up though and it was the night before voting polls. When I hobbled in to vote with my very tall husband and two very tall adult sons to vote, the attendants thought my family had bashed me up lol. How embarrassing.
  • DMaree
    Options
    Omgosh Brenda You Are A Very Lucky Lady. Thankyou For Your Help. So happy You Are Here Too.