What to do with my collection of caps, beanies and do rags?

Options
Jual
Jual Member Posts: 21
Hi all,

I have finished most of my treatment and my hair is growing back. During the course of treatment I accumulated lots of head coverings particularly cotton do rags, skull caps with scarves and headbands and some beanies. I am wondering if anyone has any advice about where I could donate these particularly in Brisbane? My sister also has a pile of them and we both agree that it would be good to pass them on! 

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Some chemotherapy units will accept them, though I've heard some prefer new items. If you label them carefully, you can take them to a community Op Shop. Don't send them to Vinnies or the Salvos as they go to a central sorting facility and I've got my doubts about them realizing what they are. The local RSPCA or similar who depend on direct donations is the go.

Or you can put a shout out to anyone who is just heading into treatment and ship them direct. Quite a few people here have done that in the past.

• Jual
    Options
    That’s a good idea! I would be very happy to post them to anyone that wants them! Just PM me! A lot of people have helped me throughout my treatment and I would like to help others out if I can even in a small way! 
  • Zoffiel
    Options

@Kerry-Lee47 ? Need a few?

• Zoffiel
    Options

There are heaps of people just heading into treatment. Mmm, who keeps track... @Joannie @Kmakm @iserbrown Do you know who we can tag?

• Zoffiel
    Options
  • TabooGal
    TabooGal Member Posts: 146
    Options
    @Zoffiel Thank you for thinking of me. I've been going crazy on ebay. Maybe someone pre chemo in QLD?
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hiya @Zoffiel
    Sorry I was away for abit.... had my hair chopped off in preparation.
    Yes please I would love whatever head attire you can spare as I literally have only just come out of the denial phase! Lol so pretty much haven’t got anything.
    Thankyou for thinking of me xxxx

• Zoffiel
    Options
  • Jual
    Options
    Thanks @Zoffiel - have messaged @Kerry-Lee47 directly! 
  • Kerry-Lee47
    Kerry-Lee47 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    You are all so kind, just shows how girls stick together ❤️
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Mine stsrted in qld want to nsw and are no in vic and will again be passed on once @Salpal gets some more fuzz on her noggin.... too cold down there at the moment for her to give them up but once she’s ready she’s happy to send hers on too. I think there was another lady @RR from memory who might need them at some stage but it will be a little while yet. Margie. Xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I've been the fortunate recipient of caps, scarves and a wig (as well as knitted knockers and a prosthesis) - @Molly001 @SoldierCrab @onemargie .  It's such a lovely feeling to get the parcels in the post, knowing there's a connection with other women across the country.  While I still need the headgear at the moment, I hope they will be winging their way to others when the time comes.
  • Salpal
    Salpal Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Looking forward to saying goodbye to the head gear. Little bit of fuzz coming through
  • Jual
    Options
    Have found a recipient so thank you all! Have definitely reached a point where I am keen to say good bye to my head coverings and send them on!! 
  • jmichelle
    jmichelle Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello everyone, this is my first time on this site, I will start my chemo in four days,TC x4 cycles am trying to stay positive the unknown is the worst, what do I take, if anyone has any preloved headwear all will be gratefully accepted, as I am told hair loss is a given, I would like too keep my eyebrows lol, just a bit nervous don't really know what to write, best wishes to all who are going through this.